Reinstall admin account

cnm

Verified User
Originally DirectAdmin knew about admin account that is named "admin". I had Support remove it and I've been doing my maintenance via mikeadmin account. But now I want "admin" back. Reason: my forum can send mail to admin@spywareinfoforum but all other senders fail - with message "no A or MS records". Note that mail to [email protected] works fine. [email protected] is actually owned by mike.

This isn't really very important, but when telling forum members how to contact me it seems more professional to use the admin address rather than my personal gmail, so I'd like to fix it if possible.

My CentOS does have an admin account. How can I get DirectAdmin to recognize it?
# cd /home/admin
[root@www admin]# ls -la
total 92
drwx--x--x 8 admin admin 4096 Jun 20 11:11 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Dec 1 2012 ..
drwx--x--x 2 admin admin 4096 Oct 1 2010 admin_backups
-rw------- 1 admin admin 389 Jul 5 2011 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 33 Aug 24 2010 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 176 Aug 24 2010 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 124 Aug 24 2010 .bashrc
drwx--x--x 5 admin admin 4096 Sep 28 2010 domains
drwxrwx--- 2 admin mail 4096 Sep 28 2010 imap
drwxrwx--- 9 admin mail 4096 Mar 28 2011 Maildir
-rw-r----- 1 admin mail 34 Aug 24 2010 .shadow
drwxrwx--x 2 admin mail 4096 Sep 26 2010 .spamassassin
drwx--x--x 2 admin admin 4096 Aug 25 2010 user_backups

Maybe I just need to put something in the domains folder? Currently:
[root@www admin]# ls -la domains
total 40
drwx--x--x 5 admin admin 4096 Sep 28 2010 .
drwx--x--x 8 admin admin 4096 Jun 20 11:11 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 Aug 24 2010 default
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 Aug 24 2010 sharedip
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 Jan 24 2012 suspended

For comparison, /home/mike/domains:
drwxr-xr-x 3 mike mike 4096 Nov 15 2012 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 mike mike 12288 Jun 24 18:26 ..
drwx--x--x 10 mike mike 4096 Jun 27 01:23 spywareinfoforum.com

I am tempted to just copy /home/mike/domains to /home/admin/domains but fear breaking something.

Last edited:
My CentOS does have an admin account. How can I get DirectAdmin to recognize it?

Do you see admin account in a Directadmin list of administrators? If not, then you might need to remove it from your box and re-add it through Directadmin.

Yes, it is in the list. I had a quick AHA! That is the admin for our (dedicated) server. The mail for [email protected] fails with "Technical details of permanent failure: DNS Error: Domain name not found"
That figures as that domain is owned by our host and does not have external DNS.

None of this explains why mail to [email protected] from ordinary email clients fails with message that there is no A or MX record. The DNS for that domain is at ZoneEdit. There definitely is an A record, and an MX record which looks like this:
@ MX 7200 0 mail.spywareinfoforum.com

However when I look at spywareinfoforum.com in DA, it just says:
mail MX 10
There doesn't seem to be any way to edit that or to add an MX that would say mail.spywareinfoforum.com

I see this:

Code:
[root]# nslookup mail.spywareinfoforum.com
Server:         2a01:7c8:b::c53
Address:        2a01:7c8:b::c53#53

** server can't find mail.spywareinfoforum.com: NXDOMAIN

[root]# nslookup mail.spywareinfoforum.com ns8.zoneedit.com
Server:         ns8.zoneedit.com
Address:        75.125.10.187#53

[root]# nslookup mail.spywareinfoforum.com ns16.zoneedit.com
Server:         ns16.zoneedit.com
Address:        69.64.68.41#53

[root]#

And "No A Record" here http://intodns.com/spywareinfoforum.com

Great info! but how do I fix this situation?

Our host offers DNS which I am not using: and dig for it shows
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;spywareinfoforum.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
spywareinfoforum.com. 14400 IN MX 10 mail.spywareinfoforum.com.

I don't know what the address of the mail server is. I think we are using dovecot.

Edit: Incidentally, the mail received from the forum has X-Mailer: IPS PHP Mailer
I have looked at the mail php files in IPS but it fills out an elaborate array and seems irrelevant to sending via an email client.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what the magic thing I did was, but [email protected] is working perfectly now. :) I fixed the things in ZoneEdit that intodns was worried about: added an A record for mail.spywareinfoforum.com and changed SEO values.

Thank you very much for your help. I didn't know about intodns. Bookmarked!

Last edited:
I highly recommend you do NOT use your admin account for receiving email. I'd use instead something like [email protected].

Because I don't feel you should ever log into a mail service to read mail with the admin password, because it's the main DirectAdmin password and with it your sever can be easily damaged. So I'd set up ssl on DirectAdmin login, and never use admin or admin password elsewhere.

Jeff

Back