[RELEASE] SpamBlocker released

"ehlo" is the extended version of helo; helo (mispelled as it is) is how one nameserver greets another.

I'm sorry if you can't understand the documentation I've written, as I've tried hard to make it clear.

I fully understand the language problem, but I don't speak French so I can't help.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can answer for you.

Jeff

from 1.3da:
# RSS-1.3da 11-Apr-2005 #
# Modified to conform to latest DA release: #
# to conform to per user SpamAssassin & other DA changes. #
# Modified to add additional local blocklist by domain. #
# Modified to give more complete reason for blocking. #

what has changed? do i need more changes? will it still work with SA 2.x AND/OR 3.x

As you might have noticed from previous posts, I am absolutely no expert at e-mail processing or Exim...
However I've (after thinking about it, planning with it, and practising to do it fast) migrated our main mailserver from MailScanner to SpamBlocker last night.
So far I am unable to say anything about load increase/decrease as there's a DoS on the particulair server at the moment, but besides that, I think it's working fine. However I still have some old exim stuff processing the last messages in the 'unable to deliver' queue, when this is finished I'll remove the rest of the old MailScanner config.

But I do have a few questions/issues about the new config.
At the moment the system displays a certain anonymous message when there is spam being detected (edited the file mentioning the hostname to make sure the hostname of the server and our company name is only available from the headers, as I've got some resellers who want that). But my problem now is:
I get a lot of spam notifications that have a spam level of > 10, with MailScanner, I edited the config so e-mail with a score > 10 is dropped, as it tends to piss of certain people who have to download a few MB of spam with high scores.
Can this also be done with the SpamBlocker system ?

My second question is also about this, I edited the 10_misc.cf to change the mail subject to {Spam?} if spam is detected. However this doesn't happen.

Is there any way to get these few things out of the way ?

sander815 said:
what has changed? do i need more changes? will it still work with SA 2.x AND/OR 3.x
I merged the latest exim.conf file from DA with my latest changes to add an additional blocklist by domain.

You should grep "example.com" and replace it with your custom page.

Jeff

Icheb said:
However I've (after thinking about it, planning with it, and practising to do it fast) migrated our main mailserver from MailScanner to SpamBlocker last night.

. . . .

But I do have a few questions/issues about the new config.
None of your questions appear to have anything to do with SpamBlocker, but only with SpamAssassin.

Which is NOT part of SpamBlocker.

Jeff

jlasman said:
None of your questions appear to have anything to do with SpamBlocker, but only with SpamAssassin.

Which is NOT part of SpamBlocker.

Jeff

Should have edited the post, reading stuff is hard sometimes...
Problems aren't solved yet, but spamblocker is indeed doing a great job for some domains already. Spam on a few domains has decreased with about 70% to just a few dozen spam messages per day.

*will not waste anymore time*

Please don't feel you're wasting anyone's time; it's just that I couldn't figure out how to answer anything in your post based on SpamBlocker.

Perhaps a rewrite would be in order, perhaps in another thread.
We all learn from each other's experiences, and there's really no such thing as a waste of time.

Jeff

Will what work with Debian?

SpamBlocker?

SpamBlocker is system independent; it's built entirely into the exim.conf file. The only dependencies are a few files created at /etc/virtual.

If exim runs on Debian, then SpamBlocker will.

In fact, if you've got DA on Debian, it already is. You simply have to define the domains you want it to work for, by adding the domain names to /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Will what work with Debian?

SpamBlocker?

SpamBlocker is system independent; it's built entirely into the exim.conf file. The only dependencies are a few files created at /etc/virtual.

If exim runs on Debian, then SpamBlocker will.

In fact, if you've got DA on Debian, it already is. You simply have to define the domains you want it to work for, by adding the domain names to /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains.

Jeff

So this spamblocker release is included in the DA Debian release?

spamblocker email address for unblock request

Two questions:

1. If all of my domains are being spamblocker'd, won't the emailed request to unblock also be blocked? e.g. if my unblock request form sends mail to [email protected], allegedly it will come from the same hostname and will also be blocked, so I will never see the request. Obviously, I'm missing something.

2. Does anyone want to share an example of their page where they send people who want to be unblocked? I'd like to get some ideas for how to word the language on the form and page.

Thanks!

Duh. Please ignore question number 1 above. The unblock request will come from my own mail server, submitted through a web-based form.

Still, I'd love to see some of your examples of forms for unblock requests.

I don't use a form, I use email to <[email protected]> since I've set up the errors username to accept email from everywhere.

You're welcome to look at my page at:

http://www.spamblocked.net/blocked.html

but don't send people there (you wouldn't believe how many administrators do) because if I get an email asking me to unblock a domain not on my server all I can do is write people and say basically "sorry, but I can't help you; I can't unblock what I don't host".

Jeff

i just wanted to install spamblocked 1.3, but i notice a difference in the SA section:

Code:
# Spam Assassin

# Spam Assassin
spamcheck_director:
  driver = accept
  condition = "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq {$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}} {!eq {$received_protocol}{local}} } {1}{0}}"
  retry_use_local_part
  transport = spamcheck
  no_verify

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=36
Code:
# Spam Assassin
spamcheck_director:
  driver = accept
  condition = "${if and { \
                        {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq {$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}} \
                        {!eq {$received_protocol}{local}} \
                        {exists{/home/${lookup{$domain}lsearch{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$valu$
                } {1}{0}}"
  retry_use_local_part
  transport = spamcheck
  no_verify

what should i use?

I'm probably a bad one to ask; my SpamAssassin just stopped working yesterday :( .

I'm busy rewriting SpamBlocker; can you hold off for a few days?

Jeff

I'm probably a bad one to ask; my SpamAssassin just stopped working yesterday :( .

I'm busy rewriting SpamBlocker; can you hold off for a few days?

At this time I recommend using exim.conf and exim.pl from the DA page here.

Jeff

You can safely use both. The second one is more recent and adds an extra check which had no ill behavior on our setup.

SA is enabled and works just fine, but usually you can't just use spamblocker like that, you have to sync it with the DA exim.conf and add virus scanning capabilities, complete with ACL.

i don't mean SA serverwide, i mean this:
Code:
{exists{/home/${lookup{$domain}lsearch{/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$valu$
to be able to trun it on/off per user

Back