Remote Access Host won't work with DYNDNS host

bluesteam

Verified User
Hello,

So I have my own DYNDNS host. For practicality purposes lets say it is:

myhost.dyndns.org

So I added this host to the allow Access Hosts list for the database in question.

1613382099105.png

For completion sake, I also added this to the csf.dyndns file through the CSF config section.

1613382251095.png

However, whenever I connect using MySQL workbench, the connection fails and says that I cannot connect using my own reverseDNS internet host.

Of course if I add my actual IP address in, it works fine but this defeats the purpose of DYNDNS.

I found this article online and they say to use the --skip-name-resolve option during the startup of mysqld but the user stated that it did not work.

This is the error I am getting when trying to connect remotely:

1613381925122.png

Can someone please assist me in bypassing the MySQL reverse DNS so that our DynDNS will work as expected?

try this

Allow Access Host, It just allow like [email protected] in database
but you need to enable bind to public ip

so first checking with telnet from diferrent location/Server
telnet 1.2.3.4 3306

========================And about DYNDNS on csf firewall
You need enable in config option "DYNDNS"
just set to like 300 ( updates every 5Minute )

Last edited:
try this

Allow Access Host, It just allow like [email protected] in database
but you need to enable bind to public ip

so first checking with telnet from diferrent location/Server
telnet 1.2.3.4 3306

========================And about DYNDNS on csf firewall
You need enable in config option "DYNDNS"
just set to like 300 ( updates every 5Minute )
Thanks but this is to enable remote access.

Remote Access is working perfectly fine without the need to follow any of those instructions.

The problem is when connecting to the remote database using a DYNDNS host. This is the problem as MySQL always checks your reverse DNS. This guy had the same problem:

Remote Access is working perfectly fine without the need to follow any of those instructions.
So in that case I presume you have port 3306 opened or nothing will work remotely.

The guy you're pointing to did not have the same issue. He wanted ip use instead of what you want, which is name resolution. So he wanted the opposite as you want.

It looks like it, but it's different. I found one which is better for your needs, but no solution either.

Port 3306 is not explicitly opened in CSF but I am able to remotely access the database just fine when adding my direct IP address to the allowed list of Access Hosts. So for some reason it doesn't look like I need to explicitly specify 3306.

Whenever my ISP changes my IP, my online reverse dns host becomes the-ip.the-isp.com.

So this is what MySQL sees when I try connecting and it ignores my IP entirely.

How do I disable the reverse DNS lookup when starting MySQL on directadmin?

Try adding this to your /etc/my.cnf file under [myslqd]:
skip-name-resolve
and restart mysql.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to wait until somebody else answers.
But if I do disable reverse DNS lookup, will adding a DYNDNS host still work??

I know I will only really know once I test it but I'm not near a pc now.

So adding this to the /etc/my.cnf definitely disabled the reverse dns lookup but completely removes the ability to add DYNDNS hosts to the Access Hosts list.

1613450737906.png

When running a connection test now, it is only seeing my IP but the problem is that when trying to add a DYNDNS host now it complains about the above. Therefore it simply won't work.

Sooo...

Looks like DirectAdmin is unable to allow DYNDNS hosts as an allowed host in the Access Host list...

What a shame! :oops::oops::oops:

Looks like DirectAdmin is unable to allow DYNDNS hosts as an allowed host in the Access Host list...
I think you're mistaken. What I read from the other thread, also the thread I pointed to, it's a Mysql issue, not a Directadmin issue.

So it's not a DA shame. :)

Hmmmm you are right but what surprises me is that this has not been solved across the entire world...

Am I truly the only one who needs to connect to MySQL using a dynamic IP that changes from the to time??

You're certainly not the only one but I gues one of the few.
Loads of people have a dynamic ip which is rather static (seldom changes) and/or don't use external mysql connection.
Most hosting company's don't even allow it.

While that may be true, the way it is now, not person in the world can use DYNDNS with MySQL because it simply won't work at all if your ISP allocates a hostname along with your IP.

That is correct. But mysql is never ment for use with use with dynamic ip's. I understand your issue, but if you want things fixed, the only solution is to talk about it at mysql forums or put in a suggestion/request there if possible.

Another option is to use your dynamic ip and maybe a cron which checks and changes the ip in mysql when changed in dyndns.

Back