Reseller email

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
When creating a reseller, what's the email address used for?

The problem I'm having is when I set up a reseller I must enter his domain name.

So what I've got is "[email protected]" where example.com is the reseller's domain. And I must put in a domain for the reseller so I put in "example.com" as the domain name.

Then he can't get the email telling him how to log in until he finds out how to log in.

Which means too much human intervention, repeated phone calls, etc.

Is there another way, or must I somehow explain to resellers we can't give them an account unless they have an email address at a different domain?

Jeff

Put it on a different domain or enter your own e-mail address and forward it. The user can always change his e-mail address so that won't be too hard I believe.

Robert,

That's why I asked at the top of my post, what it's used for.

I don't want to send it to myself if it's for something important.

I just wonder what it's used for.

I think it's used for server messages, in which case it should go to an email address on a separate server, but many of our clients don't give us an email address on a different server.

Jeff

I believe it is indeed meant for server messages for instance reaching bandwith limitations. The e-mail that you receive once you create the reseller is how to log in. There are 2 scenario's which may occur:

1. The user is switching from another host to yours, in which case the e-mail address should point to the other server --> other hoster.

2. It's a new domain in which case the user must have another e-mail address, because the domain is new.

I am not absolutely sure about the first, I do remember something about the own server having priority over the actual server that hosts the domain (in which case it would be difficult to send an e-mail).

I always explain to people to have an additional backup e-mail address they should use to contact us. If the server goes down somehow we can't contact our customers as the mail isn't received.

Back