Resolving Server Name

California

Verified User
Hi,

I am new to the DA gang and had a question that I didn't see answered in the docs or the forum. Maybe others have had the same problem.

The installation guide says that the server name must resolve, but it also says that server1.gary.com is a better name than gary.com.

Are we expected to put an extra A record in the DNS to point specifically to the server name or is the server name resolved some other way (i.e. at the registrar)?

Nope.

The server name is seperate and should not be the primary domain of the server you plan to use otherwise email and some other things won't work properly.

You don't need to do anything special for it. Once DA is installed you can add your primary domain through the control panel and set up nameservers which you have to setup through your domain registar.

Wow that was a fast reply! :D

I have already got DA and my private nameservers and all set up and things are just starting to resolve.

As I was testing things out, I was getting a response to pinging "mydomain.com", but not "myserver.mydomain.com", where (obviously) "myserver.mydomain.com" is my server name.

Thanks for the lightning response! It looks like I made the right control panel choice for my dedicated server!

Back