revDNS domain management

matkra

Verified User
Hello,

I would like to ask is it possible to use DA to host and manage via web revDNS domains ex. 1.2.3.in-addr.arpa ?

This would be the only service for our customer (no mail, ftp, websites etc.), who would like to mange own rev domain in easy way.

Regards,
Mateusz

Sure, if you have e.g. a /24 subnet you might get your hoster/provider to delegate it to your dns servers. If he's willing to do that depends on the provider. Not every provider wants to do that. For less than a /24 I wouldn't even bother to ask them, but if they do, you can simply add the reverse zone to your bind/named configuration.

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to add reverse lookup for IP of my DA server.

I want to allow my customers to manage their revDNS zones / PTR records (external to DA itself) using DA web panel.

You say the records are external, so I assume you mean that the reverse DNS zone is managed outside of DA and that it will remain there. Regardless, whether the DA server's DNS handles the reverse DNS for the zone or not (and "to the best of my knowledge" in case I'm unaware of a function), there is no current built in method that would allow your customers to manage their PTR records inside of DirectAdmin. So whether the DA server manages the zone or not, this would be plugin development.

Back