Roundcube mail markes as junk mail

erikd

Hi,

I am working with DirectAdmin for half a year. Most of the issues I could solve reading this forum. Now I have a problem and I am not sure if it is a spam problem or a mail misconfiguration.

When I login to the roundcube webmail of squirrelmail and send a message to my own email adres which I receive in Outlook 2007, that message dissapears in the inbox and goes to the junk mail folder.

In the situation I send a email from outlook to that rouncube mailbox and reply to that message (within roundcube) there is no problem. Even there is no problem when I configure outlook to connect to that mailbox with Imap (smtp also via exim) then messages stay in the inbox. It is only marked as junk in outlook when I compose a new message in roundcube or squirrelmail.

I looked at the mail headers and saw that sometimes the mail gets a spam score of 2,8 and sometimes zero, so I cannot direct link the problem to the spam score.

Any ideas?

Sounds like Outlook is marking it as spam, not Roundcube or your mail server.

thanks for thinking with me,

@desynced,
Outlook is marking the message as spam. But why, I was wondering if the cause is a misconfiguration in exim or roundcube or perhaps outlook rules are too tight.

@daveyw, I also check the RBL list and my ip is not on it for now. maybe it will in the future because I've no ptr record for my domains. I will keep a close watch on that.

Yesterday evening I updated Outlook and its junk mail filter, now the email is not marked as spam anymore. But to tell customer to first update outlook otherwise the email will be replaced in the junk mail, is a little bit strange, isn'tn it.

I also walked through the exim settings but could not find any setting to unfluence the spam score.

Are there more think for me to look at or is it just a fact, that I do not have much influence in this behaviour of some email clients.

Yesterday evening I updated Outlook and its junk mail filter, now the email is not marked as spam anymore. But to tell customer to first update outlook otherwise the email will be replaced in the junk mail, is a little bit strange, isn'tn it.
Not as I see it. Unless you can determine the header which causes the problem I'd just put it down to an incompatibility noted by Microsoft, so they updated their program.
I also walked through the exim settings but could not find any setting to unfluence the spam score.
Exim doesn't set the spam score. It's set by SpamAssassin.

Jeff

That's because Outlook uses their own Spam Database and not using your server's SpamAssassin database to check for spam. Outlook is infamous for marking legit emails as spam (and vice versa). If users are going to use Outlook as their email client, they should always update Outlook's spam rules whenever a new release is available.

If it's automatically going to a spam folder, it's either configured that way in DirectAdmin (SpamAssassin Setup) or the email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) is moving it there.

If it's coming in with [Spam] or {Spam?} (depending how it's setup in DirectAdmin) at the front of the subject line, usually that means SpamAssassin on your server is marking it that way.

Roundcube on the server by default does not move spam messages or mark spam messages automatically without other plugins being installed.

Last edited:
Back