Running in Amazon EC2

madman1133

Verified User
Hello Everyone,

I have an interesting problem.

I'm trying to install / run DA in the Amazon EC2 cloud. As you may or may not be aware EC2 does allow what they call an elastic IP address. It's a lot like a static public IP with the exception that it is not directly bound on the server. This brings me to my problem. DA requires a public IP on the server and Amazon only provide a private IP. What sucks is that I do have a public IP allocated to the server but it's being NATed some how my Amazon's magic.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10. Here is my network configuration.
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 12:31:3a:00:19:74
inet addr:10.251.30.130 Bcast:10.251.31.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
inet6 addr: fe80::1031:3aff:fe00:1974/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:17286 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5076 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:22275796 (22.2 MB) TX bytes:601479 (601.4 KB)

My public IP is 174.129.220.209. Keep in mind that this IP is only associated with my DA server on the cloud. So this is not some home network that is nated behind a firewall.

I think I have a legitimate need to have DA setup in this configuration. To be honest I think things are moving more towards the cloud setup and DA needs to work within the constraints provided by cloud providers.

I know there is a work around for this on the forums but I've spent the last few hours digging and I came up empty. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks in Advance
Donny

Hi,
I am guessing that they are using some sort of name based hosting. Virtuozzo now has a name based setup for VPSs. I have never played with this setting since all of my control panels require a public IP. You should contact your provider to see if this is the issue.

Regard,
Jason

I'm guessing you tried registering the external IP address but within the DirectAdmin software on the server it is expecting to be on that same IP and not on a private address? Does it give you a particular error?

Very interested in this as well - I just started testing running some systems on the EC3 cloud with persistent storage.

Hi Donny,
Were you ever able to solve this issue? If so how?

Thanks,
Jason

I think EC2 uses NAT so the DirectAdmin software thinks you are on an internal IP instead of the external one Amazon gives you.

You can try to assign the public IP to the cloud on a different NIC. Though this might not comply with Amazon's policies or perhaps it will break the container. Besides, it is an unsupported way of installing DirectAdmin and might cause side effects.

Have you been in contact with Amazon about this? Maybe they can offer a different solution.

Never Resolved

All,

This was actually never resolved. I brought it up to DirectAdmin support and they said the only work around was to assign the private IP to ETH0:0. Although they consider this a "HACK" and will not support the environment. I got to tell you guys that this licensing model is Archaic at best.

Licensing should never dictate the network architecture / design. I'm not say there is a better panel out there or anything like that. I just think that the licensing model should be modified to work with the customers configuration and not the other way around.

Let's face it there are a lot of other software companies out there that require software licensing thats this stringent.

I've read a bit on Amazon EC2, and I was never convinced that a hosting system such as Amazon EC2 could run a standard DirectAdmin build.

Do you know that it can?

I'e looked at other cloud computing options, such as Mosso, which appear to meet the requirements.

Jeff

It's 2013 now and I'm wondering if I should move from single servers to a cloud servers to host my DirectAdmin for my web hosting company. I'm unable to find a really reliable setup instruction on this to create a rock solid reliable hosting environment like I have with 99.9% uptime over more than 10 years using a single server.

What's the news? Anyone have this running rock solid?

It's a bit hard to respond, because cloud means different things to different people. Originally having a server anywhere else but on your premises, and accessing it through the 'net, meant your server was in the cloud.

Now it means different things to different people.

Are you looking for redundancy? Elasticity? What?

Jeff

Back