safe mode off by default?

Safe mode in off for default?

• Good idea, i like it

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Bad idea, better safe mode on

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Hi John,

I don't think DA is enabling safe mode by default for domains added to an account using the domain adminstration section of a user's control panel. I've added the line to my directadmin.conf.

Thanks,
Matt :)

DirectAdmin Support said:
Once you upgrade to 1.21.3, you'll need to edit the directadmin.conf and set:

safemode=ON
John, when we set safemode = ON in php.ini UebiMiau fails.

Will we solve the problem by changing it in directadmin.conf instead of in php.ini?

While we prefer squirrelmail some of our old clients still use UebiMiau, and they need safemode turned off.

Can we resolve this by turning safemode on in directadmin.conf, and then off for the users who still use squirrelmail?

Or is there some other fix?

Thanks.

Jeff

Couldn't you configure safe-mode ON in PHP.INI and use httpd.conf along with a php_admin_flag to turn it OFF for the UebiMiau directory?

Hmm... What about adding a new <Directory> in the virtualhost for /var/html/www, eg:
Code:
<VirtualHost |IP|:80>
        <Directory |DOCROOT|>
                Options +Includes -Indexes
                php_admin_flag engine |PHP|
                php_admin_flag safe_mode |SAFE_MODE|
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/html>
                php_admin_flag engine ON
                php_admin_flag safe_mode OFF
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
John

UltimeWWW said:
Hum, how can we disable safe_mode for SquirrelMail then?

The above covers /var/www/html in general, all webmail scripts aswell as PMA are in there :)

Chris

Why not just have DA make all new accounts with SafeMode on then you wouldn't have to set it global effectively disabling the email programs?

DirectAdmin Support said:
Once you upgrade to 1.21.3, you'll need to edit the directadmin.conf and set:

safemode=ON

and then restart DA. I failed to remember to implement that through the interface, but the functinality is there. ;)
A have putted that line in both
/usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf and /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf but it has no effect. New accounts still created with safemode=OFF
:(

Also, if you are using custom virtual_host*.conf templates, you must make sure you update them to have the correct tokens.

Easy fix:
Code:
rm -f /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom/virtual_host*.conf
echo "action=rewrite&value=httpd" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
John

Back