Seeking advice with Wordpress and TTFB

LawsHosting

Verified User
I have a client who has 30 or so Wordpress sites..... Some have become slow. You might say "check plugins", and that was my first thought....

However, upon inspection:

1. TTFB takes seconds;
2. The admin areas are not affected at all, they are fast;

So, I'm not too sure what is up. The server currently uses mod_php + mod_ruid2, I am going to try php-fpm later tonight then try to optimise apache and mysql more than they are.

Has anyone experienced this with Wordpress sites?

PS. TTFB = Time to first byte

Try the following tests to see if it's a wordpress installation issue or a server issue:

- Install a completely fresh wordpress installation and run a test.
- Create a simple html site and run a test.
- Create a php site without mysql and run a test.

This way you can see where your bottleneck is and act accordingly.

Well, php-fpm didn't do anything......

I'm sure they won't mind if I supply some of their sites (can remove them after).......

Here is one that is fairly fast: {link retracted}
Here is another that is fairly fast: {link retracted}

Here is one that can be dog slow (randomly): {link retracted}
Here is another that can be dog slow (randomly): {link retracted} (just a test site)

This is an unused site : {link retracted} (html holding page)
This is a basic Wordpress site: {link retracted}

Last edited:
Hi,
First impression is that it hardly could be on server side, as some are loading fast and some not. Off course there is always a way of improving a bit, but not at this stage. Install nginx as reverse proxy and use PHP 7 will improve already a lot on server side.
If I take {link retracted} for example, it is loading with errors:
Code:
Error parsing header X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block; report=https://www.google.com/appserve/security-bugs/log/youtube: insecure reporting URL for secure page at character position 22. The default protections will be applied.
e_grzwjFhOk?rel=0&controls=0&autoplay=1&showinfo=0&loop=1:1 Error parsing header X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block; report=https://www.google.com/appserve/security-bugs/log/youtube: insecure reporting URL for secure page at character position 22. The default protections will be applied.
init.js Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

Performance test on GTMetrix is very bad. Start with fixing the errors, optimize the website and use a good cache plugin.
Find another way to display the video, it is causing a lot of problems witch effects loading speed.

If you need help, just let me know.

Last edited:
I'll link this client to your post...... This client is like a friend (even though we have not met), we both do favours for each other.

He said he'll see if it's a plugin.......

PHP 7.2 with fpm will be my next step....... I want to minimise any downtime as possible....

Hi,
I've had a client where every page took couple of seconds TFFB.
After some inspection I found it to be a calendar plug-in that made 100's of sql selects for every page load (for every day a select instead of one big select).
SQL used 100% cpu during that time.

When I disabled the plugin the site loads perfectly.

regards,
Stijn

It could be anything, but the last time I ran into this, there was malware hidden in functions.php which was calling out to a site that no longer existed.

So it would take as long as file_get_contents would take to timeout, then proceed normally. It didn't look like a hack originally because nothing was apparently wrong, other than the long delay to load.

Good old plugins..... Of course, they can be a godsend with production, but in turn, can be a hindrance too if they are EOL or badly written......

In this case, it was a widget that was causing the issue............ Thing is, most clients couldn't care less, they just see is as the host is slow and at fault, therefore, they think they're right....

Back