server shut down

pppplus

Verified User
Hi

I've a problem. One of my server shut down, without reason (at least, I did not find one).

The only thing I see in /var/log/secure is :

Oct 19 23:31:31 serveur6 login: pam_unix(login:auth): bad username [ ]
Oct 19 23:31:31 serveur6 login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR , Authentication failure
Is it possible, this can be the problem, which shut down the server ?
And if yes, how to avoid it ?

I verify in ssh with command last, last connections, and no one connect at this hour or some minutes before.

For DA admin :
- I use several IP as server IP, and when server restart, only main IP answers, other IP do not answer.
- please add possibility to share several IP in directadmin, it is very usefull !

Thanks for your help.

Is it possible, this can be the problem, which shut down the server ?

I'd say no, failed login has nothing in common with that. It might be:

1. Lost power supply
2. Kernel panic

And if yes, how to avoid it ?

If it happens again and server does not answers and does not start either, you should attach an IP KVM and see what is there on monitor. Once you learn the reasons, you'll be able to find how to fix it.

Thanks Zeiter.
I don't think I can do this, but I will try.

If you rent or collocate server in a remote DC, you might need then to ask help from DC staff. I don't know terms of service and whether IP KVM is available on long terms, but my practice and experience allows me to say that the issue is mostly caused by failing hardware. And in some cases server does not reboot as it expected on Kernel Panic. For now you might need to check /var/log/messages and dmesg output for any errors from HDD, and other hardware. Check SMART status of all HDDs, etc.

- I use several IP as server IP, and when server restart, only main IP answers, other IP do not answer.
- please add possibility to share several IP in directadmin, it is very usefull !
Not sure what you mean, as by default you can log into DirectAdmin using any IP# on which your server responds.

If you've added IP#s using DirectAdmin they should start when the server is rebooted. They won't start automatically when you restart the network; you'll need to run:
Code:
# /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/startips
So before you restart the network you should verify that you're connected through the main server IP#.

Or are you asking to make multiple IP#s server IP (which is what we might think from your post)? You can make sure you'll be able to reconnect to your server after a network restart, even if you log in from a different IP#, by making sure that IP# is set up as a server IP in the server. DirectAdmin won't recognize it as a server IP (but rather however you set it up in DirectAdmin, either free, shared, or assigned) but you will be able to survive a network restart and still maintain connectivity.

Jeff

Back