Server's Primary Site - DA Recommendation

Marque DeWinter

Verified User
I purchased DA in hopes that it would give me a simple system so that I wouldn't have to administer all my servers and do all the setup. I ran into one big problem at least for me. The admin login needs to default to the base website for the server. I have a whole bunch of dedicated servers and many times the adminsitrators don't really know what they are doing. As much as I'm sure they could figure out how to created users and resellers most will not be able to figure out how to access thier own websites. I had to login as the root user then find the correct folders etc. I don't give my dedicated server customers root access. It needs to be simplified so I don't have to go crazy changing code and permissions so that when they sftp using thier login names and passwords that it does't take them to a base folder similar to what a user or reseller would see.

Thanx for listening.

~marque

Marque,

If I'm understanding you correctly you can log in as admin, click on "User Panel" (exactly how you do that depends on which skin you're using), and then create a domain.

Then use that default domain, which can be reached through the admin login.

Jeff

Tried that...

When I tried that it told me that the domain was already in use...

Its just annoying to have the structure for the server site in a completely different place then the user or reseller sites.

If I recall correctly, DA determines what domains are already in use by checking to see if DNS exists for them.

The problem most likely occures when you use www.example.com as your main hostname.

Jeff

Well sort of

hostname is like subdomain.example.com
with nameservers of ns1.example.com
and ns2.othername.com
and thenI tried to create site www.example.com
and was told domain was us use.

I did notice that DA had already set up
www.example.com
mail.example.com
example.com

etc. but again it sets the default site to
/var/www/html/

and the virtualsites to
/home/USERNAME/domains/DOMAINNAME/public_html

And when you look at the same structure for the admin it is

/home/ADMIN/

the folders then are
default, sharedip, suspended

I just think it would make setting up servers alot eaiser if the www.example.com went to
/home/ADMIN/domains/example.com

Do you see what I'm saying now?

Thanx,
Marque

I know what you mean.

I just looked at three servers and I can't see how/why it happened to you, as on all three of our servers I checked I found that the main domain (example.com) wasn't set up until after we set it up. And when it was set up, it was set up in the /home/USER/ path. The /var/www path is used by our system only for webmail, squirrelmail, and a few other "system" things we put there.

I still believe you can delete the DNS zone file (rename it to be safe), create a new domain, and recreate the DNS zone file.

Have you tried that?

Jeff

Thank You...

I hadn't gotten that far yet. For now I just uploaded the site to the directory it defaulted to. I'll try working thorugh it in the DNS.

This is the first install of DA I've had and I'm still palying and learning. It still though just seems like a pain. So far though I'm finding that if I create a new skin to better suite my needs DA should work. The big question now is whether my php prgrammer can write something so that DA, Squirrelmail, and phpBB can have one unified login (login once get access to all without having to log into each one). If David can do it then I'll probably purchase lifetime licenses for at least our four clusters.

~Marque

I to am having this problem. I can't add the domain that was used when my VPS was set up for me.

I can see the three folders:
default, sharedip, suspended

but what is the document root for my main domain?

Back