Setting up CentOS in Software RAID

dannygoh

Verified User
Hi,

I was installing a CentOS 6 in software raid 1. Where should i install the boot loader in order both disk also can boot if one disk is failed. Attached is the print screen

IMG_1995.jpg

Hi,

Do i need to replicate the settings to 2nd drive if I have update on yum. If I came across kernel or grub update, do i need to replicate the settings to 2nd drive?

Definitely not on Kernel update; I'm not sure about Grub update, but I don't think so. Feel free to look at your Grub configuration the first time after a Grub update to see.

@zEitEr:

Thanks for finding and posting that; you saved me the trouble of finding and posting my notes on the subject.

Jeff

Hi,

Do i need to replicate the settings to 2nd drive if I have update on yum. If I came across kernel or grub update, do i need to replicate the settings to 2nd drive?

Since you've got 2 HDDs in a mirror, there is no need to do anything more. In case if one disk fails and your replace it, then you'll need to install grub onto it. Note, when installing grub, zero blocks are meant, but no /boot partition by itself.

@Jeff,

It is great to hear the post is helpful to you as well.

It is great to hear the post is helpful to you as well.
I've always had my own How-To for doing just this on servers I build, but it was never in good enough form to send to others. This page is :).

Jeff

Back