setting up multiple servers on same domain??

robg

Verified User
Hi,

I have a question.. I'm still new to setting up servers but I'm not that clueless. Basically I'd like to have three servers at different locations, but each one be under the same domain 'xcage.net'.. for example, say I have three seperate servers located in the USA, id like:

xcage.net <-hosted on server one.
one.xcage.net <- server one.
two.xcage.net <- server two.
three.xcage.net <- server three.

im using freebsd 4.10 and directadmin, and i dont know how to go about doing this? do i just setup a website xcage.net on server one's box, and then change the box's hostname to one.xcage.net and add a A record to xcage.net's DNS to point one.xcage.net to server one's IP?

then how would i go about doing server two? would i log into server one and add a A record for xcage.net that points two.xcage.net to the server two's IP? if so, how would server two work? would it need directadmin installed as well? how would i configure it to use two.xcage.net, because with directadmin the only thing i see is id have to add xcage.net to it as well, but its on server one.. im confused on this part how would i exactly setup the secon box to work as the domain two.xcage.net?

sorry for long post, but im really confused thanks for any help.:rolleyes:

robg said:
xcage.net <-hosted on server one.
one.xcage.net <- server one.
two.xcage.net <- server two.
three.xcage.net <- server three.

im using freebsd 4.10 and directadmin, and i dont know how to go about doing this? do i just setup a website xcage.net on server one's box, and then change the box's hostname to one.xcage.net and add a A record to xcage.net's DNS to point one.xcage.net to server one's IP?
Yes.
then how would i go about doing server two? would i log into server one and add a A record for xcage.net that points two.xcage.net to the server two's IP?
if so, how would server two work? would it need directadmin installed as well?
That's up to you; you've only said you want three servers; you dind't say what you wanted to do with them.
how would i configure it to use two.xcage.net, because with directadmin the only thing i see is id have to add xcage.net to it as well, but its on server one..
No, you'd just give it a hostname of two. You don't need to have a domain set up on it at all.
im confused on this part how would i exactly setup the secon box to work as the domain two.xcage.net?
Do you want something hosted at two.xcage.net? If so, then you'll need either DA or some other hosting control panel, or you'll need to know how to set up Apache, a mailserver, etc.

Jeff

Back