setup directadmin for students

vinzzz

Verified User
Hi all,

I'm going to install a centOS server with directadmin to provide our students with some webspace. There's quit a lot to think about, especially if I don't know if some aspects are indeed possible with directadmin.

Every student will get his own subdomain like studentnumber.domain.com, for example 123456smith.domain.com.

1. Is it possible to automatically put a robots.txt in the root of the subdomain when it's created, which blocks all search engines (I know that's not a certainty), in a way that directadmin users (a.k.a. the student) can't delete or edit it?

2. A little bit like the previous item: is it possible to have a specific set of folders created in each subdomain, that can't be deleted or renamed? That way we can force students to use a folder-structure we like.

3. Is it possible to protect all subdomains with a single password (so Google can't access it) and make this scenario easy to maintain? For example, we could tell our students and teachers to always login using 'name-of-school' in the .htaccess prompt.

4. If I assign 20 GB for each directadmin user (student). Can I afterwards change that 20 GB to lets say 15 GB? Or is it: ones assigned, it cannot be taken away from that user? And reversed: if I first assign 20GB and want to expand it to 30GB, is that possible?

Thanks a lot!

1 and 2. I would do that with a simple shell script. Create the files with a root owner and group - the group of the user. Then set them as read+execute for the group (no write - no delete). So the procedure will be - create the user, then run the script using the shell. I am unsure if you will be able to do that with the DA templates. Maybe it's worth trying - look here: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=244

3. Sure yes. It's just just a pair of two files - .htaccess and .htpasswd. You should put them in the root of the public_html folder and that's it. Again - owner root and group the user and no write permissions for the group. That's it.

4. It's easy to change quotas.

Hello,
I'm a teacher in a bilingual gymnasium in Germany and I need help explaining how directadmin works as a control panel. Can I create accounts automatically?

Hello,
I'm a teacher in a bilingual gymnasium in Germany and I need help explaining how directadmin works as a control panel. Can I create accounts automatically?
Directadmin is work for Web hosting Provider, Bussiness, Dev, It create owned website for their account. If you want to use for student should be manual edit some templates. If you want to make automatic create account then you should use 3rd party or Make yourself from API of directadmin.

I don't know what you mean by "automatic." DA will need input from somebody.

Back