Simple billing in DA

rushost

Verified User
We think you should add a little piece of billing to your panel and
after that we can't imagine price for it ;-) Moreover we even can
propose how to do this. It will not be difficult for your developers.
If you add this feature in near future you'll increase rating of your
panel to the highest level, cause every hosting company requires
billing and companies have to develop it by themselves. I know about
it because I received a lot requests about billing for web-panel
during last 3 years.

Here it is an algorithm:

1. Variable "price_per_month" (1 month = 30 days) need to be added to
a package configuration file (and to Create Package page too).

2. Variable "user_balance" need to be added to a user configuration
file (and to Create User page too).
Each user have its package. So we divide "user_balance" by its package
(price_per_month/30) and the result is number of days user can work (this
is his limit as disk quota and network traffic)

Every day "price_per_month" is subtracted from "user_balance". When
there is no days (limit is over) we suspend this account (as in
case of traffic limit).

Notices (should be changeable):
When 15 days left - a warning about necessity of filling up
users balance (one time at night)
When 10 days left - second warning
When 5 days left - warnings about low balance level are sent every
day.

Data about balance and days user have should be available in skin near
limits of traffic and disk space.

Such billing will not have any relation to any country or currency
(everything can be in units, USD ;) or any laws (no invoices, bills etc)

PS
We know that there is many 3rd party software programs that handle billing: e.g. modernbill, servnetix, whois.cart. But it is too expensive and a lot of features in their billing - not nesessary.

I believe that this has been discussed over. and over. The ultimate decision is DirectAdmin's granted and they may change their mind, but all I've read here says that this is not a high priority (if an even going to be implemented) feature.

Whoiscart is not particular expensive. $40 :confused:
Compared to cpanel matched with say modernbill, that would be expensive (and buggy :p )

Maybe you could convince l0rdphi1 to release his system source and you could work from there on advanced features.

Last edited:
rushost, your solution is too simple for us; if DA implemented it I'd sure hope they'd make it optional. Otherwise we couldn't use DA.

Jeff

We don't want to end up like in H-Sphere. Their billing system is a nightmare and you can't get rid of it.

We (Installatron) have long toyed with the idea of expanding our in-house user manager into a billing plugin for DA, but we've been reluctant to actually do it for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, doing a billing manager as a DA plugin limits its potential user base dramatically. DA is picking up ground on the other control panels (and for good reason), but for now it's still quite a small user base. And who knows what portion of that user base would be interested in a simple billing manager plugin for DA.

The other reason is that whois.cart already appears to do a very thorough job, and for only $35.

So what price would make it a worthwhile purchase instead of whos.cart, but still have some chance of making back its development costs in what is probably quite a small potential market?

The answer to that question is probably the only reason we haven't made that plugin.

Rowan

DirectAdmin is a control panel and a very nice one at that.
I don't see any reason why billing should be made part of it. The API allows you to integrate orders with billing systems like Whoiscart, ModernBill and probably a lot of others.
There are features that could do with improvement, but adding billing in our view is not one of them.

Back