skin choice

AndyII

Verified User
Am I missing a tic mark or,
why cant a user choose their choice of skin?
and if a skin is non existent or corrupt, why doesnt DA revert back to at least the default?
if its not a feature can we add to the feature list?
also why not start using child themes?, can this be a feature request?

Hello,

If I'm not wrong, some years before there was a skin selector for users. Not too sure though, or was it a plugin. Anyway actually there is no such a great variety of skins, so why do we need a selector?

and if a skin is non existent or corrupt, why doesnt DA revert back to at least the default?

Probably that might be a feature request.... in case if the skin is missing. But how directadmin would detect that the skin is corrupted?

also why not start using child themes?

I guess you've got already this functionality as well as others through this feature: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=295

for skin choice, there are 3 out of the box and with all these skins coming along more could be chose, I pick enhanced for all but I do have clients that like the power user skin, I guess at worse case show pics of each but that seems so un pro?
I am looking at these links and seems like creating the custom config for starters as it not over written by updates so Thanks for the info. Im going to think on more, I do work with other scripts that have this function for over rides, and your right a corrupt file would be hard to control but the 'missing' file wouldnt be .:)
this week Im starting on a revision of the enhanced and this custom config you found is great info as it sort of solves one of the problems I was having.
Ill search for that plugin, but if still around but luck will be it no longer compatible :(

as I mentioned, with All these skins coming out , I would like to see a skin selector for the user.
If I advertise several choices of skins, when the user selects one I would have to go in and drop down to the reseller level and assign it to them, not that Im lazy, but now this client wants to try a different one, it means a new ticket and the process of changing it for them. I think users need the feature of selecting the choice.
I did do a Google and a DA search for skin selector, but not much found as far as a plugin?, if I can find the older and elusive skin selector, I cant imagine would be a hard job to update it, or if it was even necessary.
Ill be searching more here to see if I can locate it....

I contacted a developer to see about a plugin for the user to be able to choose the skin, this was there reply to me.
Thank you for contacting us. Currently the requested plugin can not be functioning as designed because of features of Directadmin. It is not possible to change skin from user level on the fly even with such a plugin. I hope that Directadmin developers add either this feature into their program or a possibility for our plugin to work.

I just received an email from the programmer I asked about the skin selector, this was the email reply
I am waiting to see how it goes and hopefully be able to test this .
does anyone see or maybe know why now its possible and just a couple weeks ago it wasnt?

Thank you for contacting us. Good news. We've managed to found a solution for it, and are preparing a release soon after some testing.

We are pleased to share it with you. Please test it and update us with results. It's written in pure PHP and a C-programm is used to trigger a delayed action.

Requires DirectAdmin: v.1.453 and newer.
Supported Operating Systems: RHEL/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu
Licensed under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

Download link http://files.plugins-da.net/dl/da_skin_selector.tar.gz
Current version: v.0.2 released on 27.07.2014

More information can be found here: http://www.plugins-da.net/workshop/skin-selector-for-directadmin

lol
same one I have and was looking to test it ..
this if works great will be a great feature for the end user and having more 'Eye Candy' to offer the user, like having darwin skin cyberAdmin skin and a couple others for them to use:)

Last edited:
Alex, are you the same guy I have been emailing?, if so this is funny cause I had no idea it was you I was chatting with :D

no kind Sir, I did not know :(
was Jeff that told me when I was showing him the site said to me, that is Alex's site.. :confused:
but anyway, I think this little plugin will do a lot of good and I and many others do thank you.
now my main screen can have a sample of 3 or4 of DA skins to help attract clients :)
this is an Excellent Addition for DirectAdmin !

Skin Selector works great!!!
Thank You Alex
took me a few days to get back to testing but other than the bit of styling that may not be necessary , it works and that's what counts :)
whats the old saying? "if its not broke, dont fix it"

Good to know it's working for you. If you have suggestions on how to make it to look better, please feel free to share them here or by email.

not sure if anything is "needed" :)
I suppose to fancy it up, could have the screen shot of the choice of skin
and a submit button opposed to the instant update on select, but not really needed
it does its job.
I dont think skins have a screenshot included so that would be a bit to add
and thank you for releasing this :)

Hi Alex
I have noticed this, the skin selector will show any skins I have installed or tried to install even if they have failed.
if I delete the ones I dont want, the selector still shows the user all of them:confused:

Hello Andy,

the plugins read the skin dir /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/ and display every directory (except . and ..) which it finds. A skin does not have either installed or active flag, that's it. So make sure you have nothing wrong in /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/.

I've got some ideas on how to improve the skin. Is anybody else interested in the plugin?

thanks Alex :)
I will check today, if I delete the skins in DA then shouldnt DA also delete those folders and files?

Now am I the ONLY one interested in a skin selector? lol :confused:

as I am also on both ends of this system, reseller, admin, and user, I see more I guess of what an end user may want.
to me, having a choice of skins for the user to pick adds to the selling end, most users are graphic orientated and not resource savvy,
hoping to offer a 'Better' look to entice a possible client , granted the back end is rarely used by most website owners, its a 'Once and Done' thing, I envisioned a front page of a few fancy looking skins to offer the clients, letting them choose what they like and then the option to change that look when ever they wanted.
I dont understand the lack of interest unless most here are the server guru's and not many end users or resellers?
I wonder if advertised elsewhere the skin selector would gain popularity?

I guess I'm becoming interested.

I suppose a good argument could be made for advertising:

Your choice of skins!!!

when selling webhosting :)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for your support :)
even for resellers, having a fancy looking ride?
my fav skin is the enhanced, but I like fast and simple with easy navigation,
but to a client they mostly like the bold and sassy, the bright and shinny lol

So....Alex...... can we entice you to keep working on it??????????
please??????

Back