[SOLVED] WordPress Asking for FTP Credentials” Error?

Albert

Verified User
I took all wordpress files from an other VPS and upload by SFTP (root access) on the VPS managed with DA.
Now everything is working well but when I want update something, WordPress Asking for FTP Credentials !

I would like understand why I get this problem and solve without touching the Wordpress files.

That's probably a Chmod problems, but Play with the Chmod with Wordpress can be a bad idea concerning the security, it was working before on another VPS, that's why I would like to find which is different with one Vps managed by DA and solve...

Thanks

Maybe can be chmod issues due php engine. Ex. If you came from suexec to php-fpm here can be the clue.

Good luck

Since you were root when you uploaded the files, can you confirm that they are not currently owned by the root user?

Yes I uploaded all the files by SFTP as Root, maybe that the problem....
Do you think it can change something if I upload the file using the FTP domain account ?

Yeah, but it would probably just be easier to recursively chown the files and directories already uploaded if they are currently owned by root.

Solved !
I deleted all files uploaded by SFTP as "user : root" and uploaded by FTP the same files as "user of the domain name".
Now the permissions are Ok with Wordpress and I can update it.
Thanks

In future you can just use chmod -R for that.
I agree with you but Chmod -R cannot be apply everywhere on all files, some folders or files will have Chmod 755 | 644, that's impossible to attribute the permission manually on each folders and files

Back