Some about MX 0 NULL Record and also parked domains

ikkeben

Verified User
Please read document.

Then is it possible to have such options in Directadmin GUI / API ?
So if choosen no mail at all for domain set automatic MX 0 and if external MAIl then as now is possible MX external.

NULL MX prevents :
Unfortunately,some domains are used for websites only and will have anA and/or AAAA record withoutlistening on port 25, which is used for SMTP. While doing a DNS check is moderately resource intensive, verifying that port 25 is listening is highly resource intensive.

And parked domains:
the rest for M3AAWG Protecting Parked Domains Best Common Practices,

Then take care of this ofcourse:
V.Reporting Abuse If a domain does not receive email, then the [email protected] will not work.To ensure handlingof abusecomplaints,M3AAWG recommends the addition of anabuse point of contact in the domain WHOISrecords and the registration oftheabuse point of contact at abuse.net

Last edited:
Here is a RFC for Null-MX: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7505

The question is what mail services and software support "Null-MX"? Does Exim support it from a box or should we additionally modify exim.conf and add a check for this case?

A quick search on Exim and Postfix did not give good results.

Here is a RFC for Null-MX: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7505

The question is what mail services and software support "Null-MX"? Does Exim support it from a box or should we additionally modify exim.conf and add a check for this case?

A quick search on Exim and Postfix did not give good results.

Yes this is why i ask / post here, there should be a "normal" way within specs to have such options to prevent a lot for parked or even redirected domains. ( so "more secure, while options are off" and less use of resources ) this for connecting to other ports on such domainnames to)

Then only the Letsencrypt / SSL active if wanted and yes or no WEBsite only.

Sorry find it difficult to explain hope you al understand.

A kind Easy switch for some of such often use cases where as much services / ports are closed for parked / redirected / only website domains.
All within some specs as for DNS settings for MX , SPF and so on. ( so handle here the dns settings according to)

((Even some firewall / csf rules for blocking after x times ip's if trying to access mail. ftp. whatever with a nice message "this domain have no mail... " already for first try such specs should be nice to have in RFC to a Utopian one ?

So a RFC complaint part to have at connections try's / dns records whatever info quick view what yes or no is on or off / disabled / disallowed. ;) ))

So thinking off such what if it is already possible to have in DNS records for domains/uri region codes for which regions accesable yes or no , saves a lot of resources to if compliant DNS services even don't try to access.. sorry kind of very Utopian one i guess. ( then only with a vpn if needed )

I mean saving resources not only speeding things up but also for the environment / climate changes much better as early and clear as possible protecting using traffic / energy and spilling .... 🙏 hihi

Last edited:
I understand the idea. My question is what mail services do support null-MX? If no public mail-servers support it, then I don't see any reason to use it.

See my edited above , i understand you to but i think such parts / topics needs more public attention to discuss.

While Is complete nonsens / useless to have "traffic" ( spilling... ) where none is needed.

some spf rules for such could help a bit to i guess

Exim more info about the MX record.

UH:
The domain exists but the MX record’s host part is just "."; this is a common convention (borrowed from SRV) used to indicate that there is no such service for this domain and to not fall back to trying A/AAAA records.

What is you just delete the MX so there's not MX record at all? I think that will work.

What is you just delete the MX so there's not MX record at all? I think that will work.

No that is the whole problem!

While then almost always, fall back to trying A/AAAA records. If there A /AAA records mail cloud be send / try connection to MTA on those IP's and so on , so spilling ...

Not only this:
Unfortunately,some domains are used for websites only and will have anA and/or AAAA record withoutlistening on port 25, which is used for SMTP. While doing a DNS check is moderately resource intensive, verifying that port 25 is listening is highly resource intensive.

But also SCAM , phising and such are possible with mailadres of such domains without MX , because of the fallback to A/AAA

Last edited:
OK, I've set a Null-MX for a domain with DNS hosted at CloudFlare per this guide: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/how-to-add-a-null-mx-record/26532

And Exim on a directadmin server does not seem to process it well: emails from a domain with Null-MX accepted
HotMail accepted emails from a domain with Null-MX
Gmail rejected emails from a domain with Null-MX due to domain's DMARC policy (?)

So, it seems to be half-working....

OK, I've set a Null-MX for a domain with DNS hosted at CloudFlare per this guide: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/how-to-add-a-null-mx-record/26532

And Exim on a directadmin server does not seem to process it well: emails from a domain with Null-MX accepted
HotMail accepted emails from a domain with Null-MX
Gmail rejected emails from a domain with Null-MX due to domain's DMARC policy (?)

So, it seems to be half-working....

Alex if you can find in the link here https://www.exim.org/exim-html-curr...ch-the_dnslookup_router.html#SECTprowitdnsloo
The domain exists but the MX record’s host part is just "."; this is a common convention (borrowed from SRV) used to indicate that there is no such service for this domain and to not fall back to trying A/AAAA records.

The DOT for MX record should be possible working for EXIM ? but in DA you say it doesn't.

Did you try with the ". " ?

Back