Special domainnames

daveyw

Verified User
Hello,

We are using DirectAdmin and are very happy with it. But I guess it would be nice that if a user is trying to add a domainname like "später.tld" he will say "Sorry can't add that domainname".

Now it just accept it, and a few minutes later BIND is down, due to the "ä".

So I think it would be nice if there is a protection for that when people are trying to add a domainname.

Hm... That's a nice "bug". Maybe they will fix it ;) It's nice to know that thought.

Hello, why not use Punycode to get the domain up and running.
http://www.afilias.info/cgi-bin/convert_punycode.cgi

I an not sure that BIND can handel IDN yet, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you don't understand me.

When you add a domain with directadmin you can use "ä" "é" etc in the domainname, and after few seconds NAMED/BIND will try to update the DNS entries, but he will fail and NAMED/BIND will crash. This due to the special characters in the domainname.

So I think it would be nice if there is a protection for special characters when someone is trying to add a domainname.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missunderstood completly, and Yes You are totaly right it would be nice if there was such protection in DA.

Hello,

What version of bind are you using? It should be able to handle the character ...

What error message does bind/named show in the /var/log/messages file?

The characters were allowed so that people could actually use those domain types, with some manual punycode modifications to apache.

I added that domain as a test and bind didn't crash.. so something is different on your box from our test boxes.

John

It whas a few weeks ago, so I don't have any logs anymore.
But the BIND version we have running on that box: Named 9.4.1.

I will try it now on my box, and see what's happening. On a box with Named 9.2.4 it works, but with a box on 9.4.1 it doesn't work here.

I tested it again and here is the log

Sep 30 10:05:07 server2 named[13020]: dns_rdata_fromtext: /var/named/tëstdömáïn.com.db:8: near 'root.tëstdömáïn.com.': bad name (check-names)
Sep 30 10:05:07 server2 named[13020]: zone t\235std\246m\225\239n.com/IN: loading from master file /var/named/tëstdömáïn.com.db failed: bad name (check-names)

So it looks like you have upgraded Bind yourself. If 9.2.4 works then I would back down to that.

Back