SSD or hard disk?

993ti

Verified User
Currently thinking to upgrade my server.
Should i go for 2x 120GB SSD or single 2TB HDD?

Currently thinking to upgrade my server.
Should i go for 2x 120GB SSD or single 2TB HDD?

Go for 2x 120GB SSD, you can always put it on RAID1 so you will have a backup of data + that will extreamly speed up your mysql server

ssd are a very bad idea for a server
and why would that be? i've read a lot of good articles about this (but a remote backup location is needed if a drive fails you can't recover data or something like that)

i've been running an SSD virtual server for more than 10 months and i'm very satisfied of it, including the tremendous speed it has in advantage of a HDD.

SSD's are designed to work but they can only have about 50.000 read/writes or something like that. This will be reached on a server far more easyer then on a home computer and it's far more expensive.
So I certainly agree with SCSI that it's not the best idea for a server.

i've been running an SSD virtual server for more than 10 months and i'm very satisfied of it, including the tremendous speed it has in advantage of a HDD.
And I've been running a server for ten years. It's fast, (server load is never over 1.0, usually under 0.5) and it serves it's single website admirably. (It's a client machine.)

What's my point? That an individual report doesn't make a good reason :).

I'm not sure how well SSDs perform under RAID. Is there any documentation of this issue?

And I certainly wouldn't want to have to choose between 120 GB and 2 TB without knowing what the server was intended to be used for.

Today people tend to keep a lot of email online (proliferation of IMAP). 120 GB really isn't much any more.

Jeff

I would also go for SSD because of better performance (read times are much shorter).

Thanks guys.
The server will be for a few websites. Mostly blogs and about 6 forums.
The current server is using a single 120gb SSD and it has been running for almost 4 years now but i need a bit more space.

Then you already know the answer. It works for you. I'd be concerned about applications that do a lot of writing, such as logging, email, and MySQL databases on interactive sites such as forums.

But if you haven't had a problem and want to go for it, then do it :).

Jeff

Thanks, going to use the twin SSD option and i'm going back to Debian.
Going to use one partition for Mysql.

Thanks, going to use the twin SSD option and i'm going back to Debian.
Going to use one partition for Mysql.
Keep us updated on your experience :).

I'm not sure why you'd feel you need a separate partition for MySQL. What do you hope to gain by that?

Jeff

Back