SSL On domain has gone from working to none working... ???

motobrandt

Verified User
OK here's the issue.

I had a site with a working SSL cert from ev1server.net then the reseller "accidentily" switched the domains IP Address to a shared one. This obviously killed the SSL functionality.

So then I changed the IP address back to it's own and tried to get things working again. No go though.... When I go there it acts like it is still going to a shared IP.

First, it comes up with the "Snake Oil" cert, that Direct admin uses as default. If you accept this cert it the page that comes up is the Apache "It's Working!" page. But If I look into the private_html directory all of the website's files are there and there is no apache page. It's weird It's like it didn't take the IP change or something...

I even went so far as to buy ANOTHER cert from ev1servers and still no change.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Or can I get some official Direct Admin support on this?

Thanks!
brandt

Hey,

What does the SSL page look like for that domain? Is everything where it's suppose to be? Are the certs and key there?

If that's OK then check the httpd.conf files to make sure the needed lines for the certs are there...

David

I just wanted to add, to Brandt...

Don't buy replacement certs again.

All you need to do is find the private key; that's usually still on the server as a backup. If not, well any cert authority worth dealing with should be willing to reissue a cert if the key is accidentally destroyed.

Jeff

Got it working

Thanks for the info guys. Jeff, I knew there would be a way but I just was a bit frantic at the time I did it the customer was freaking, and I mistakenly responded to that before thinking things through.

Anyway I got it working. In the htttpd.conf file for the user in question there was simply no SSL stuff. So I just copied it from a user that does have SSL working and changed the IP Address and paths accordingly and everything works fine. Of course everything was there so DA was working right in that sense, but it just didn't rewrite the httpd.conf file of that user after the IP change was made. :confused:

All is well now. Once again it is proven that panic get's you nowhere.

-brandt

Hey,

Some cert providers will also change the hostname for the cert if you just bought it. (Comodo gives you like 30 days or so...)

So, might be worth a shot to get the new cert changed for another server.

David

Back