SSL Security Certificate

e-view said:
http://www.cacert.org/
This cert is based on an untrusted root; your visitors will get the same kind of popup they do if you issue your own self-signed cert.
www.aimencrypt.com
Unless I'm reading something wrong these certs are only for AIM.
http://www.freessl.com/ssl-certificate/free-certificate-thawte.html
These are great certs. They use a trusted root, so you don't have to do that CACert install.

On the main page they're priced at $39/year. If you sign up for a dealer account, the price goes down to $29/year.

We like these certs so much we sell the same cert under our own label, for less.

Sign up as a dealer with us, and the cert is $24/year for a one-year cert, down to $21/year for a five-year cert.

And you can get installation from us for an additional $11.

See my post with complete information here.

Jeff

jlasman said:
This cert is based on an untrusted root; your visitors will get the same kind of popup they do if you issue your own self-signed cert.

Jeff

This is changing...

http://blog.cacert.org/2005/11/110.html

Nokia has included the root certificate of CAcert into the new Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. This makes it possible to use secure websites, encrypt and digitally sign emails with free certificates from CAcert.org.

Currently Knoppix, Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and other Linux distributions have incorporated CAcert into their products already, Nokia is the first commercial vendor to approve CAcert for it’s products. One of the main goals of CAcert was to be included in major browsers and CAcert continues to actively pursue other vendors such as Opera, Mozilla and Microsoft to be included as part of their browsers.

CAcert is a community certification authority that issues free SSL certificates worldwide for individuals and organisations, and CAcert aims to enable better privacy for the Internet. CAcert is committed to high standards of security and verification, to achieve this goal CAcert operates a worldwide network of Assurers who are verifying the identities according to the 4 eyes principle (or better), to have a high level of verification as it is of little benefit having security if you aren’t sure who you really are communicating with at the other end.

The majority of your visitors are probably still using Internet Explorer.

I still think it would be foolish to use a cert that's not accepted by Internet Explorer.

And possibly you'll want to consider how many people use IE5, which will never accept any certs it doesn't accept now.

But of course that's up to you.

Jeff

Well you can get a GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium and it will work on all domains on your server so meaning there will be no popup on any of your domains.

ProHS said:
Well you can get a GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium and it will work on all domains on your server so meaning there will be no popup on any of your domains.
How would you buy a GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium Certificate that will work on all domains?

What do you use for the common name, which needs to match your domain to avoid the error popup?

I just called my rep, and he assures me that GeoTrust won't issue a Certificate that will work for any site. Not even the wildcard Certificates work that way.

Jeff

Well how it works probably a wildcard like you suggested.

As for your rep saying that they won't release a certification like that well that is very untrue because they did, they advertise it saying it will work on your sites and your customers sites.

I have not contacted them on the detailes but i am sure there not going to charge you $94.00 for just a single 128 bit ssl certificate. Acourse in less i am reading it wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.

http://www.ev1servers.net/hosting/ssl/premium_details.asp

Last edited:
I'll start by pointing out that like EV1, we've signed a contract with GeoTrust, and we have access to the same information, and are bound by the same rules, as they are.
ProHS said:
Well how it works probably a wildcard like you suggested.
No. This is NOT a Wildcard Certificate. The Wildcard Certificate is significantly more expensive, and it works for (for example):

*.example.com

So if your domain is example.com and you can verify that, you can get a Wildcard Certificate for *.example.com.

GeoTrust sells the Wildcard Certificate for $899. EV1 doesn't sell them.

See the GeoTrust verification requirements here (look at page 10 of the PDF at this link):

But this is not a Wildcard Certificate. To get the QuickSSL Premium Certificate you have to type your Common Name into the CSR page. The Common Name is defined as your exact domain name as it will be typed into the browser, and this Certificate only works without a popup for the exact common name you've typed.
As for your rep saying that they won't release a certification like that well that is very untrue because they did, they advertise it saying it will work on your sites and your customers sites.
Read it again. It says:
you and your customers can conduct secure Internet transactions with confidence.
Which means exactly what it says ... you can buy it for yourself or for your customers.

with confidence means simply that you're paying more for this cert and it has a higher dollar value guarantee. Search for my posts here about the certs I sell (also GeoTrust certs) and you'll see why the guarantee is worthless. But nevertheless, it does have to be underwritten and that's why the cert is more expensive.
I have not contacted them on the details
But you should, before you post incorrect information that others may rely on. Especially in this case, because EV1 does NOT offer refunds if you buy by mistake.
but i am sure there not going to charge you $94.00 for just a single 128 bit ssl certificate.
Why not? GeoTrust sells the same cert for $249. And it's now 256-bit as are all newly issued GeoTrust certs.

You can find it here.
Unless i am reading it wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.
You are reading it wrong.

If you look at the GeoTrust page I linked to above you'll see that GeoTrust considers $189 to be a low-priced Certificate.

Jeff

Back