Struggling to configure Automation

NTT

Verified User
So I'm running ClientExec on Directadmin. I've been slow to deploy, and had my first real test run today. That pointed out that automation wasn't working. I'm trying to fix that today.

When I go to automation services I see the following two messages:

Notice: Crontab is not available in your system or you don't have permission to use it. Please manually create the following cron job in your hosting control panel.

Cron Job (just this one entry to trigger all enabled services):
* * * * * php -q /home/admin/domains/modomain/public_html/clientexec/cron.php

So I went into Directadmin and installed the crontab entry as requested (though I used /usr/local/bin/php to make sure it ran).

Now, it looks like the drop-down on the Automation page requires me to go into every option and toggle the feature on. When I attempt to do so I get an error that says:

"Error: couldn't use the system's shell binary"

I thought maybe there was confusion that would go away if I allowed cron access to Apache, so I removed the apache user from the cron.deny file (even though I'm running Lightspeed), and that didn't change anything.

So it looks like something's broken and I don't know how to fix it.

At the same time, as I look in the drop-down list some items have a + next to them - like "+Archive Logs" which makes me think I'm successfully turning on bits of automation and I can ignore the error message.

I'm not finding any of this in the documentation. Is there a simple fix to make cron issues work from the web browser so things work cleanly? Or am I doing this correctly and I should ignore the warnings about the shell binary?

Should I add apache back to the cron.deny list since that modification fixed nothing?

I think this may be related to disable_functions list in your php configuration.

Back