Suspend at Limit - does it work?

AndyII

Verified User
this could also be for Admin and or System levels
I have been using inode limits and the accounts are set to suspend at limit But its not happening
I got a report that a user had used 148% of the inode limit and that account had not been suspended, so I made a test account and put small limits, then uploaded a few files, during the uploads I did get the massive output complaining it can do all of them due to restrictions of limits, but it did not suspend.
I talked to Jeff about this, he suggested waiting to see if when DA did the tally would it then do the suspend.
But it hadnt as of today and both accounts are over the limits of Inode usage
Im going to raise the inode limit on the test account and continue loading more files until the disk space is exceeded to see if the account gets suspended or not
I do get email reports that the account is over the limit

all accounts are set
Suspend at Limit ON

Thanks zEitEr
that would explain the why
so on further test, I uploaded more file to exceed the limit

An Error Occurred

Details

somefile.zip has been saved as /home/user/domains/example.com/public_html/somefile.zip.
Warning: Saved filesize is less than uploaded filesize. Check quotas.

so would the site be able to use more resources as far as inodes or bandwidth?
just sending the warning to the reseller or admin?

the user hadnt as of yet received any warning emails about over usage.
is it up to the reseller to notify the user, and the user may go un aware of any over usage.

I can see the use of a 'soft limit' and a 'hard limit' to give the user an opportunity to take care of the problem but if the amount gets to the hard limit it Suspend time?

Last edited:
so maybe a better way to do this would be, set the option in directadmin.conf, then set only lower end hosting accounts to do suspend?
keeping all other set to OFF but still enable soft limits per package

ok so are inodes , bandwidth,included in
disk_usage_suspend=1

and Im assuming because it isnt listed in the directadmin.conf file, its default is 0, and by adding the line, you enable it?

Whether or not you set a user to be suspended if he goes over his disk space limit, you still run into the issue where the user can't save anything with his username as the owner once he's reached his disk space limit.

If you're running quota on your server, then all partitions covered by quota will not allow any additional saves once the disk space limit is saved. So generally email won't be saved and uploaded files won't be saved.

Jeff

@Jeff,

That's not that clear as you might want it. Let's say a user has limit of 2 Gb disk space for his/her account. And the user has most of his allowed space used for MySQL tables, let's say it's 1.5 Gb. As we all might know that MySQL data is not counted into user's quotas on system level, and here disk quotas (and repquota proving it) would allow him/her still use 2 Gb in a homedir. Thus if not to suspend such a user, the user might have 2 Gb of data in homedir and MySQL database of unlimited size. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks, Alex, for making it more clear than I did. I'd been discussing the issue with AndyII on the phone earlier today and I just wanted to make it clear that you could still have problems with being overlimit even if you don't suspend at limit.

Jeff

Thanks guys, :)
I am just trying to find an answer to the low end hosting accounts, and I also believe Inodes may be the answer to achieve this
but if mysql isnt counted in Inodes

Back