sym links

AndyII

Verified User
I am so sorry if this is a stupid question,
( a man once told me there were no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answer lol )
anyway, is there any way for me to create a sym link from the admin file manager to
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/

as you may know (and if you dont, you do now lol ) Im not a command line sort of guy, I leave that to my partner or one of the fine guru's here on DA forum :)
I want to be able to access the skins folder from a file manager (or ftp to the admin account) so I can take a whack at some skin remodeling...
please dont shoot me for asking :eek:

Hello Andy,

In this case I'd suggest that you use mount:

Code:
[root@server skins]# mkdir -p /home/admin/data/skins
[root@server skins]# chmod 710  /home/admin/data/skins
[root@server skins]# chown admin:admin  /home/admin/data/skins
[root@server skins]# mount --bind /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins /home/admin/data/skins

and to keep it after reboot you need to change /etc/fstab

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins   /home/admin/data/skins   none   defaults,bind  0  0

this would give you a read-only access to the folder of the skins through Directadmin File Manager. As the all skin files are owned by diradmin user.

To gain write access, you need to change permissions and add admin user into diradmin group. This I did not test yet and is just a raw idea for you to start from.

thanks Alex :)
I will have Jay do as you suggested and see what happens from there.....

then I got to thinking (dangerous I know) if I were to login as a reseller (not admin reseller) upload a skin, shouldnt I be able to see the skin folder and collection?
So I tried and I found just that, the skin directory with the 2 skins I had installed
so maybe I was just trying to do it the hard way lol
thank you for the suggestion that made me think about the reseller end :)

Back