tribal-dolphin

Verified User
Hello

I've some questions about templates.

1) I've copy to the custom directory this files :
u_welcome.txt
r_welcome.txt
a_welcome.txt
but DA don't open it, he open the default file. What's the problem ?

2) I don't find the webalizer.conf template. Where is it ?

3) I want to add PTR records but no template exist. If i create a dns_ptr.txt file, DA will detect it ?

Thanks.

Hello,

1) The u_welcome.txt file is only used for giving to the Reseller accounts when it's created (nothing is actually emailed). The Reseller should then have your custom u_welcome.txt file ready to be sent to his own Users when he creates them. His file would be located in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/u_welcome.txt (which is edited from the User creation screen)

2) There is no default template (it's not needed). If you want to have one, just create it in the custom directory and it should be used.

3) We didn't add the PTR version of the template.. as PTR records aren't generally added to the zones.. perhaps if you could explain why it would be needed, I could look into adding that one as well. (A ptr record generally happens once per IP, not per domain)

John

ok for 1 and 2.

For 3,
I've one IP for all my domain. All domain need a PTR record i think (mail, ....)

How to do that ?
Thanks

Definitive answer:

PTR records do not belong in your forward zones at all. Putting them there may break DNS for your zone completely.

PTR records belong in your in-addr.arpa zone and nowhere else.

And only if your upstream provider has given you authority over your reverse DNS and has specifically told you the name of the in-addr.arpa zone he's delegated to you.

If you don't understand DNS and you try to change it you'll break it. And no one will see your sites. And you won't know why.

As far as the question as to whether or not there should be multiple PTR records when multiple domains share one IP#, there's nothing in the RFCs or in the bind documentation that would prevent it.

However most resolvers won't see any except the first one or first few anyway, so it's a complete waste of time.

What most of us do who have been running DNS since perhaps the mid 1980s, is to have the PTR record point to the hostname of the server. It seems to make the most sense.

Especially to get through spam-blocking attempts that compare the reported "helo" name of the server against the PTR record.

Jeff

Back