The best php-run mode?

iprodua

Verified User
What is the best (the most popular/modern) way to run php in modern servers (4 cores, 8-16GB ram) with Directadmin? mod_php+mod_ruid2 | fastcgi | php-fpm ?
Can you suggest me one of them (and maybe explain your suggestions? )

Thanx

In fastcgi or fpm you can also have php.ini per user. suPHP is very slow.

The choice was made long time ago. For now we don't have yet enough experience of running Apache+PHP-FPM with directadmin. With all drawbacks of suPHP it's still tested and well known way of running PHP on shared hosting. We found some issues of using Apache2.4+NGINX, so we hesitate to switch to CB 2.0 in order to start testing PHP-FPM more intensive.

And that's not a question, we do run standalone NGINX with PHP-FPM on not directadmin servers.

Yep, agree. My old servers also have suPHP, new fastcgi because fpm not working very well right now in DA. Anyway fastcgi config in DA also have some issues :/

Hi,
I have extensively tried php-fpm using
pm=dynamic in php-fpm56.conf from user in order to get always alive children from requests.

In fact, if php-fpm is slow in directadmin that's because of settings: pm=ondemand

when you have a website with no traffic, no php-fpm children exist. First a php-fpm child has to be created to handle php. That's why it is slow. You have to turn pm to dynamic, to always have at least 1 active child (spare server child).

But still when l do a stress test ... it is not that good. Plus, i am not convinced about the threads memory management of php-fpm, meaning that i see my inactive processes again and again even if there is no requests.

php-fpm is the fastest when you have 1 request for a website. Then, if you have 70 requests for a website. php-fpm performances are worst than fastcgi.

You can check it yourself buy doing

Last edited:
Back