Thinking on migrating from Cpanel

RR600

Verified User
Hey everyone, I have a Cpanel based reseller account, I'm thinking on migrating it to a DirectAdmin account of the same capacity.

I've been using Cpanel for the last 15 years and don't have any experience with DirectAdmin, that's why I'm a bit scared about I can find some limitation or missing feature that can break functionalities in my web sites.

For instance,

What web servers are supported?
Will I be able to select php version and install modules of my election as in Cpanel?
Does it have LetsEncrypt integration?
I guess migration is not possible without root access, is it?

Anything else you think I would need to be aware of?

That's what comes to my mind right now.
Thanks in advance for any input.

What web servers are supported?

Apache, Nginx, Litespeed, OpenLiteSpeed

Will I be able to select php version and install modules of my election as in Cpanel?

Selecting PHP version is easy with DirectAdmin. PHP modules can be installed with CustomBuild or CLI.

Yes, very easy to use.

I guess migration is not possible without root access, is it?

Correct. You need your own server to install DirectAdmin onto unless you purchase DirectAdmin web hosting.

Thanks for your answers.

Selecting PHP version is easy with DirectAdmin. PHP modules can be installed with CustomBuild or CLI.

I don't know what CustomBuild is, but with CLI I assume you mean as super user, right? Remember, I won't have root access, it's a reseller account.
I ask because Cpanel allows custom PHP builds for regular users.

If you don't have root access then your php versions depends on the one your administrator/root has install this on the server.
I'm not sure that you can install php versions as reseller and for Custombuild you must be admin to use

I'm thinking on migrating it to a DirectAdmin account of the same capacity.
If you are migrating to another Hosts reseller platform you should ask them what all they support. They should be able to answer your specific questions.

If you are thinking of not being a reseller and owning it all yourself on DA. It appears you are not but hey never hurts to have more info.

Then I would read
https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/faq-for-directadmin-new-customers.58062/

and

The system basically has 3 levels in general
Admin
Reseller
User
The site help files might be helpful as well

I would look through both Reseller and User for you.

A little addition:
Not completely. In cPanel it's possible to have 1 php version with mod_php and mod_ruid2 next to other php versions with php-fpm.
In directadmin this is not possible. When using mod_ruid2 you can't have a multi-php selection.
If you want to use php-fpm it's no problem.
If you are no server admin c.q. you don't have root access, then it's what active8 already answered for you.

Yes, but unless it's changed very recently, there is still no autossl functionality like cPanel has. But it is easy to setup Letsencrypt for domains.

I ask because Cpanel allows custom PHP builds for regular users.
cPanel never allow regullar user to build PHP. regular user only allow to change PHP version and add any php extension as need (Cloud Linux features). if you use Cloud Linux OS in directadmin, all Cloudlinux features are available too in your directadmin, as you see in cPanel

I successfully migrated all my sites this weekend.
Fortunately the DA panel had exactly the same PHP selector than Cpanel, that was my main concern.
Thank you all.

Back