This is e-mail notification to warn you that your hostname is setup improperly on your system.

jakeevans

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can help me out, i've got a bug that's been driving me crazy and keep getting a ticket email every day with this subject:
This is e-mail notification to warn you that your hostname is setup improperly on your system.

The contents are:
Create an A record for your hostname (server.domain.com.) in your DNS control panel. Point the hostname to your server's main IP address. Also check /etc/hosts to ensure that the server ip is correctly set.

So I clearly have server.domain.com in my DNS management setup - A records are present, it points to the public IP address of the server.
If I ping server.domain.com - works perfect, shows public IP address.

Running CentOS 7.9. The only thing I can think of is it the hosts file? Contents are:

::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

37.187.28.171 server.domain.com server
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
127.0.0.1 server.domain.com server

If I run hostname in SSH it returns
server.domain.com

I just cant see whats wrong, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Jake

P.S server.domain.com has been replaced with my actual domain - just using it as an example here on the forum

So I clearly have server.domain.com in my DNS management setup
As seperate DNS entry? Or under the domain.com domain dns entry's?
And there are no server.domain.com subdomains created under the domain.com dns entry's?

Hostname is also present under administrator settings as hostname?

@cjd That has nothing to do with a notice about hostname being present locally, but yes the reverse dns matches the hostname. ;)

Back