Two problems

UltimeWWW

Verified User
Greeting,

Two new problems occuring only on one of our DA server (RH9).

When creating a new account, the quota looks like it's broken. It shows like if the user had used 694.133% of his allocated disk space when in fact the user didn't connect to his FTP.

Also, the login history seems broken. It says that it can't be accessed. Guess it's only a chmod missing?

Thank you.

Hello,

Check for files on the system with the same #uid that existed before the user was created. The can happen if a tar.gz is extracted by root... the files inside the tar.gz would be owned by another user (From a different system) with the same uid #. The number is extracted with the file, but no name is associated with the #. When the new user is created on the system with the same uid #, the system will assume that those files are his and will report some very confusing stats :)

Code:
[server]# id user
uid=[b]510[/b](user) gid=510(user) groups=510(user)
[server]# find / -uid [b]510[/b] | less
That should dump out all files that are owned by that user ID. Have a look for files that are not in his home directory. Once found, chown them to a system user id.. (eg: root)

John

This is on a new server. Only happens on the last 2 users I created...looks like an update messed up.

When trying to create a directory, I have this error:

An error occured while attempting to create the directory

Details
Unknown error

UltimeWWW said:
This is on a new server. Only happens on the last 2 users I created...looks like an update messed up.
Yes, it can happen on any server. The other files are probably somewhere on the system (probably not in /home)

I'm not too sure about the 2nd error. If you run "man -a mkdir" and press q once, you'll come to screen on the mkdir() function. There is an "ERRORS" section. It's none of those :) DA checks each error type and will spit out the accompanying error, but the "errno" value was non of those 12.

My best guess is for you to have a look throgh ssh and make sure everything "looks" correct. Make sure the parent directory isn't owned by root or another user. Also check the system quotas "quota -v username" to make sure there is still space for that user to write data.

John

Back