unable to access htacces in subdirectory/subdomain

nurvianto

Hello,

This is the first time using DA.
After migration from cpanel, I found that htaccess is not working in subdirectory.
Here is the example error_log

[Wed Jan 15 05:35:45.926716 2020] [core:crit] [pid 2348901:tid 139619538147072] (13)Permission denied: [client 95.108.213.29:61529] AH00529: /home/xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/blog/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/home/xxx/domains/xxx.com/public_html/blog/' is executable

I have tried ./set_permissions.sh, but It is still not working.
I need help how to fix this issue globally.
Thanks

Regards
Nurvianto

Just to be sure, you used the ./set_permissions.sh the correct way? Should be like this:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/set_permissions.sh user_homes

Are you using Apache or Nginx? And what php mode are you running? Mod+php, mod_ruid2, php-fpm?

You could also try to run:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build update
./build rewrite_confs

Check folder permissions anyway and also folder owner.

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/set_permissions.sh user_homes
not working

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build update
./build rewrite_confs
not working

You can check folder's permission too.

Good luck

Check folder permissions anyway and also folder owner.

folder/subdomain/ permission is 750
after I change to 755 , the site is working again

but there are many subdomain / folder in server,
so I need bulk solution

I suggest sending in a ticket, because the ./set_permissions should fix this already.

However, as for a bulk solution with console output:
Code:
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644
which will change directory's to 755 and files to 644 as it should be.

You can change /home/*/domains to /home/username/domains if it's only for 1 user, or adjust the line to your needs in other places.

Or use a shorter version:
Code:
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find /home/*/domains/*/public_html -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
Again, change /home to your needs.

For both ofcourse, no warranty, use at your own risk.

Last edited:
With the suggested commands you open users dirs for reading by other users on the same server. It's insecure.
That would indeed be correct Alex for the shorter command. But as specifically stated it was just an example which should be fitted to the needs.

However, since there are always people not reading correctly and just copying and pasting, I editted my post and completed the lines to a directly usable example.

The reason likely why it works with 755 and not 750 (or 644 vs 640) is because you have permissions set as username:username

For php-fpm , user:group permissions for, example, .htaccess would need to be username:apache in order to use 640 -- if 644, then you can use username:username, but it's readable by everyone.

Can someone provide the best-practices for permissions here on php-fpm, because I'm not entirely sure myself--since we did just switch to php-fpm recently.

Last edited:
For php-fpm , user:group permissions for, example, .htaccess would need to be username:apache in order to use 640 -- if 644, then you can use username:username, but it's readable by everyone.

That's wrong for DirectAdmin servers. All user files on DirectAdmin servers under document root should be owned and group-owned by username.

Back