Understanding how the PHP Selector Works

zwankie

Verified User
Hi everyone,

I'm testing DA on CentOS 8 converted to CloudLinux 8.
I installed a number of PHP versions and they all appear in DA.

I'm just confused on how we actually have resellers/users change the PHP version per domain/website.

Option1: Without CloudLinux installed
Option 2: With CloudLinux installed

Thanks,

Also, for the above, there is a PHP Version Selector under Extra Features but it's not possible to change PHP verion, it shows this message.

Warning: Changing php modules and php options via PHP Selector for native php version is impossible

Maybe this is a cloudlinux bug? I've found this:
It's from 2015 but problem also occuring in april 2020.

and maybe this older topic.

Thank you, I posted to CL, let's see what they say.
I agree, those issues were many years ago so I would expect the problem to be resolved by now.

I'm just confused on how we actually have resellers/users change the PHP version per domain/website.

Put the following to .htaccess (this will set php to 7.3):

Code:
<FilesMatch "\.(php4|php5|php3|php2|php|phtml)$">
SetHandler application/x-lsphp73
</FilesMatch>

Works with CloudLinux mod_lsapi.

Yes but the last 2 posts were from april 2020, so this month. Let's hope it gets fixed. I'm curious what the cause is.

@ericc , thanks, so manual then.

@Richard G , CL responded saying I must manually change the PHP Version and save it using the LVE PHP Selector, and if that does not work I need to log a ticket.

I tried changing the PHP Version in DA LVE Manager but there is no SAVE button and I can't scroll down to the bottom of the page, the DA window is either not loading or not displaying correctly.

Understood, I just know that many users are not good with manual text file configs.
They want absolute simplicity and ease of use by clicking or selecting. This is the default in the larger industry now.

So to be honest, I've only been evaluating DA for a few days now. So it will be a little unfair to comment too much as I'm still getting to know it.

We're considering DA as an option to replace our Plesk servers but I have to say that DA is not at that level of ease of use yet.

Running a production server without CloudLinux is just not the way to go these days, that means your CP needs to work with CL seamlessly for Admins, Resellers and Users.

Also, your CP layout and menus need to be well thought through because users/customers love and expect something that looks great and works well. If you don't have that you are behind and will not gain many customers. I think the new DA skin is a massive improvement from the previous ones and I hope there will more refinement with it.

Is there a place to post features requests or comments on that in this forum because it is off-topic here?
Is it this https://feedback.directadmin.com/

I'm using this selector to change PHP version for any domain separately
but it must be rewrited/modified manually

Well... there are lots of admins using DA with cloudlinux, even a very big company in the Netherlands. However they don't use mixed php versions. They just use cloudlinux and customers can easily select various php versions from there. I also wonder why a local php version should be choosable when running cloudlinux on the same server.
But maybe I'm just wondering because I don't use cloudlinux. ;)

Maybe they are using the plugin Zhyenyapan is also using, I don't now.

The new DA skin can be customized, I like the icon lyaout option more.

Yep, that is the new place to put feature request, you can also click on the main title of
Feedback & Feature Requests
on this forum which will also automatically redirect to the link you pointed out.

Good points @Richard G

There are some practical considerations though.
- There are some people with very old or custom scripts that simply cannot upgrade from 5.6 for example. In this case the CL secured php 5.6 is a good option.
- If you host for many years it is natural that many smaller and non-pro-active users will not be able to keep up or update their apps with every new php version that comes out.
- there are also some users who want to test/develop new apps on the latest php.

Over the past 20-years I've seen this many times over where we have clients today still that signed up in 2001 but they absolutely cannot and will not update their php. It's not easy or optimal but having the option to change php versions per domain is great.

The challenge is to stay with the latest stable and fully supported php but then be able to upgrade to the next when required without breaking too much.

Thank you for the explanation.
However we have the opinion that users should not use things which only works on EOL versions anymore. But if I'm not mistaken Cloudlinux php selector also still is able to select older php versions, which would make a local selection not necessary anymore.

Same goes for devs who want to test the latest php. As far as I remember we could select from php 5.4 to php 7.3 (maybe not 7.4) on the cloudlinux php selection screen on the host I mentioned.

Another option is maybe, also as a point of safety, to get a seperate small VPS or something to keep supporting customers refusing to change or update. We don't support those as we appreciate security more then stubbern customers.
However, with the php selector which much php versions, which are patched by cloudlinux I believe so they stay safe (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong here), would also be good so customers with older scripts can keep working.

However, I might have made a mistake, I'm not sure anymore if the php selection could be made by account or per domain.

Thank Richard,

We do try to keep old versions limited to specific servers and grow only on new with limited new PHP.

IN DA, how does it work when you added a new alt-php module to get it reloaded?
I also don't see an option to add alt-php73 (for example) to the Build PHP, it only shows the native PHP versions.

IN DA, how does it work when you added a new alt-php module to get it reloaded?
I also don't see an option to add alt-php73 (for example) to the Build PHP, it only shows the native PHP versions.
You should simply follow CloudLinux documentation on alt-php installation. It's managed by CloudLinux, not CustomBuild.

Back