Update services in CP

CrazyLane

Verified User
I would like the ability to update php, mysql, etc.. through the admin area.

of course I can do from ssh, but I would like to be able to update services without ssh. I would like to do as much as possible from the CP so I can limit ssh use.

I dont forsee it happening at all.

All of that requires root access and is potential for security risk.

Not using ssh is the reason we have no many infected servers now days.

Sure it can be figured out. It can even be done (and with a bit of thought, even securely). However the beauty of DirectAdmin is that you can choose your own versions of php, mysql, etc., rather than allow DirectAdmin to define them for you. The price paid for that, in my understanding, is you get to do things yourself from the shell.

Jeff

It's "possible".. would have to be all background run though through the dataskq. The reason we don't currently do it is because, should anything go wrong, you're less likely to know what happened.
If it's done "right", with all output piped to a log, it's possible.

I guess my main point.. is for any Admin who is scared of ssh due to inexperience.. and likes to live within DA... is at higher risk of botching their server.. since should anything go wrong the interface is not going to help you at all.
Those who do the updates, should have the skill to also repair the update, if it's breaks. (Eg: hire a qualified server admin)
It takes a human eye, root access, and ssh, to repair those types of problems.
That's why I'd be on the fence about it.

At the same time, the services do need to be updated.
There are automation options available (cron in custombuild) for automated updates.. but I'm not a fan of those either.

I'm open to suggestions/input about adding it though.

John

As one of those qualified server admin guys I must say that most of the time updates run perfectly and without problem. But when problems do occur, they'll stop the server from serving, sites, email, or whatever, and you'd need to know about them, so you can fix them. Perhaps all output updates can be saved to a log, but even then, if the server is broken it may be impossible for it to notify the admins of a problem.

Personally I like DirectAdmin updates; using both CustomBuild and Yum I have just the right combination of ease-of-update and hands-on experience.

Jeff

Back