Solved Updating Release to Release

factor

Verified User
So a Freebsd and DA question. Since FreeBSD is rolling. Can I safely move from say version 11.2 release to version 12.1 release with DA still installed and then run ./build all d at the end?

I have studied the handbook on upgrading FreeBSD so mostly wondering since DA is sort of a Source setup will it work.

Yes, it should be fine. I'd like to note there is no support of DA planned for FreeBSD13 yet, so, if you're just installing a new server, I'd strongly suggest Debian/Ubuntu or CentOS/RHEL there.

I'd like to note there is no support of DA planned for FreeBSD13 yet
Does this mean DA plans to drop FreeBSD entirely eventualy? If so that is bad news for some. Not wanting to create a panic here.. FreeBSD is a great OS.

No promises at this point, based solely on the numbers. If we round to the nearest percentage point, FreeBSD licenses now make up 0% of all DA licenses. It's that bad. Even a regular guy from Tennessee has to admit it's a grim situation. :(

No promises at this point, based solely on the numbers. If we round to the nearest percentage point, FreeBSD licenses now make up 0% of all DA licenses. It's that bad. Even a regular guy from Tennessee has to admit it's a grim situation. :(
Mark, I follow you I get it. I think though it has been that way a while https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-unix
Linux has the "market share" leader for a long time. So it should not be surprising to you the sales are low. I am not a real big BSD guy so I am not the regular poster child here. I have used a red hat product or simular since version 2. I just don't like the idea of putting down the Little guy meaning BSD and the users.

I cant get DA to install on FreeBSD anyway so maybe I should just go back to my Linux hole and be quiet.

Jumping from one version to another is usually flawless. I never downgraded - just going up. And my experience back in the FreeBSD 9 days was that DA works with unsupported versions as well (I updated to a higher BSD and it continued to work fine).

Binaries are compatible within the major release. 13 will tell the story. It would be unfortunate if they stopped supporting it. The FreeBSD people are pretty vocal for them on forums. They already went through the major bumps when they changed compilers. Would it make sense for them to abandon it when the Linux environment is now being destabilized by the exit of regular CENTOS I wonder. If they would brag about their FreeBSD support it might change things, otherwise they are no different than any other cp so why should they go with DirectAdmin? If they wanted to make a splash, come up WAMP version? cPanel failed at both FreeBSD and Windows. Users familiar with Windows far exceeds any other OS. Anybody who has used H-Sphere, like me, will run, and Plesk breaks a lot. The combination of Linux distros, FreeBSD, and WAMP could simplify things for even large hosting environments. The interfaces of Plesk and cPanel are far less intuitive to a new user.

Back