Upgrading to CentOS 6.x recommended?

rjd22

Verified User
I want to upgrade my server to centos 6.x from centos 5.9. My question is if this is recommended and what would be the right way to do this.

Like my DA license is set to CentoOS 5.x. Does this affect my upgrade. And are there things that get unstable with CentOS 6.x?

I would highly suggest you to format for pass from CentOS 5.x to 6.x and yes, in case, you need to contact DA Staff to change your license to match the new OS.

Regards

If my recollection servers, Red Hat (and therefore also for CentOS) recommends not upgrading whole version numbers in place. You may want to look for definitive information on OS community forums and lists. DirectAdmin will need a license reset, as SeLLeRoNe mentions.

Hopefully the upgrade won't add anything not already installed and especially won't upgrade anything in the yum exclude list, but again, this is an issue for OS forums.

Depending on various library upgrades made you may need to update all through CustomBuild.

I don't do it and I recommend NOT doing it.

Backup, rebuild, restore.

CentOS 5.9 still has a lot of life left in it; we're not switching from it yet.

And once your OS is EOL the hardware may be as well; it might be a good time to switch hardware at that point. DirectAdmin sales will probably offer you a temporary license for the time overlap you need to do that; if not, a one-month license isn't that expensive.

Jeff

I have done it once on a VM, just to see how easy/difficult it would be. It isn't that straight forward and is very error prone. Plus it almost requires you to have hands on. As for stability, I didn't really do any stress testing, but most things seemed to work, but I do recall some small issues. If I were to upgrade a commercial server, I wouldn't recommend an in-place upgrade, too many places for failure plus it doesn't really upgrade things 100%, so you could run into other issues in the long run. I would do DA backups (save the backups remotely), wipe the drive , install RHEL 6, alternatively get a new server with RHEL 6 already on it, install DA fresh (with an updated license) then restore your backups.

I checked it and I decided not to do it. It's too much work and will cause downtime. The problem I'm having is that I want to use cgroups on my server so users get their own CPU usage limit and people can't use more than others. But this will have to wait to future servers then.

heres how I did it from 5.9 to 6.1
I built vps and practiced on it.
after a few days I had it somewhat usable.
by wiping it and installing 6.1 fresh
transferred sites to it, pointed dns, and hoped it held together for few hours.

then I wiped and started fresh with 6.1 on the dedicated, hurried to get everything installed/running right (I got lucky) and moved sites back and pointed dns.
I just could not get it to go smoothly.
now a lot of that is most likely lack of knowledge on my part, I won't claim otherwise, but I see why people said not to try.

Perhaps I don't undertstand you. To me it appears that you're saying you did a backup of your 5.9 server resellers/users, then wiped the machine and rebuilt it as a 6.1 server, and then restored your backup.

Is that what you did?

If so, then this is exaxtly what people have been recommending. The only difference I see here is that you used a temporary VPS to hold the sites while you rebuilt your main sever, instead of my suggestion which is to commission a new server.

Am I missing something?

Jeff

pretty much as no matter what I tried the actual 5.9 to 6.1 update did not go well.
I don't remember details now, I just remember giving up after a few day, setting vps up as 6.1 and moving accts there (I didn't have many) as a temp solution whil;e I rebuilt main dedicated.

HA
you'll never guess what I am dealing with now....
setting up new server and transferring acct over, its cpanel but the timing was just funny to me after this topic.

Back