Use Multi PHP Support with Ondřej Surý Repo

JoyceBabu

I am planning to migrate my server from cPanel to DA. I prefer to keep my installed softwares up to date. Hence I prefer binary packages from repositories over custom compiled packages from CustomBuild.

Is it possible to use Multiple PHP version support with PHP packages installed from apt repositories?

if You want it free - only with custom php_selector plugin and custom templates - without posibility to configure directly from Directadmin this configurations.
Or install Cloudlinux - it will provide all from own repo and php-version-selector and php-module-selector and ability to change php settings/limits directly from Directadmin panel. Resellers can give You Cloudlinux from 5$/mo

I use the Remi RPM repository for PHP. But I can't really say how fully all of that integrates in with DirectAdmin's PHP control systems.

I use my own series of scripts to control end-user PHP setups. It works for me. But I wrote the whole series of scripts and template updates, so I know how it works. Unfortunately I just don't really have the steps all outlined on how one might do this on their own system. And again it probably won't play nice with DirectAdmin's user panel PHP version control systems.

When I was looking at DirectAdmin there was another RPM repository that I found that had up to date Apache binaries - but I forgot what it was.

Honestly recompiling Apache, Dovecot, Exim, etc aren't that bad. Do I wish DirectAdmin had native RPM/binary update support for these? Absolutely! But these really don't take that long to compile and they're not really updated all that often. PHP on the other hand, you know there's going to be an update every month and if you've got 3 or more versions, that's 3+ updates. And compiling PHP takes a considerable chunk of time.

The reliance with DirectAdmin on compiling from source does give me a slight pause on how forward thinking the control panel is. But I get it. If you're compiling from source then you can support Debian based OSes and Redhat based OSes because they all compile from source and no need to maintain separate deb and rpm repositories. And while compiling from source makes it easier to add custom patches, if everybody is using those custom patches then maintaining a DirectAdmin repository with binaries compiled with those patches just makes it easier (kind of like what "that other control panel" does).

But again, PHP is the main compile problem - just because it's so big, takes a while to compile, and it's at least a monthly thing. Perhaps there are other packages that fit this same mold, but PHP is the only one that I'm aware of with DirectAdmin.

The compilation time is not my major issue. I am moving from a managed cPanel VPS to a un managed DA VPS. So, I don't want to concern myself with keeping the system up to date. With binary packages, I can configure unattended-upgrades to keep the system up to date.

Well, you could just setup a cronjob to run custombuild every day and compile everything that needs updating, if that's what you're after. Custombuild/DirectAdmin may support this natively, someone else here may be able to confirm this.

I don't really recommend unattended upgrades - regardless if that's a compile or rpm/deb update. You just never know when something is going to go wrong. But if unattended upgrades is what you're after, that doesn't really factor into compile vs. rpm/deb updates.

The compilation time is not my major issue. I am moving from a managed cPanel VPS to a un managed DA VPS. So, I don't want to concern myself with keeping the system up to date. With binary packages, I can configure unattended-upgrades to keep the system up to date.
The only smart way is then a managed in my view.

Please read how often a update if new, you have to give extra attention for whatever reason. ;)

offtopic:
mariadb has the longest compilation time in Directadmin, and this might be the reason why DA did not use MariaDB as the default database.

ontopic:
I can imagine it would be hard to go with rpm-based package, so stick to the source-based and everyone gets the same version number.

Note that, you can setup directadmin to automatically compile those source-based packages using custombuild. So, you would not have to do manual update.

So, based on your first question here is how to do this: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/how-to-enable-directadmin-auto-update.54305/post-327567

Back