User email

_rik_

Verified User
Hi,
every time I create a new user DA forces me to fill the mandatory field "e-mail".
I understand it's meant for announcements such as account creation, quota, etc., but for me it's useless because I sell services and the user must not be bothered for tech problems that are 100% on me.
Since in any case DA would create an email <username>@<domain><ltd> I reuse that for the mandatory field "e-mail".

1) Any foreseeable problem doing so?
2) What's the automatic created <username>@<domain><ltd> for?

Thanks

Here is an interesting (dated) read: https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...ccounts-why-is-necessary-to-create-one.21458/
It exists because it's the focal point of all the errors the server would send. And for people who need only one email address, it's convenient.

Not to mention that it's built in to linux/unix and doesn't require code, whereas not creating it would.

Not creating it is impossible, because by definition, a user is a user and a user can receive email.

and
1) Yes, domains are supposed to have them according to RFCs
2) but that means that they're very easy targets for spammers.

The system account is at least not consistent, so spammers have to guess in order to get mail to it, but "postmaster" and "abuse" will be the same for all domans, so spammers would only have to send email there and your account gets filled up.

Back