User level backup error

k1l0b1t

Verified User
Hi,

I'm having an error on user level while making a backup:

Code:
Error Compressing the backup file backup-May-22-2020-1.tar.gz : /bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Any way I can fix this? It might be related to the new update

Same here
Error Compressing the backup file backup-May-21-2020-1.tar.gz : /bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied

yeah, except for the users.list.lock file, which I don't see in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/, I do see a users.list file, but not a users.list.lock file. I tried rebuilding the users.list (https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=251) but no success either. Seems like a bug, as It came after I upgraded to 1.61.

Whilst making the backup, quickly going into ftp and loading the directory it creates before tar.gz-ing it, you can see the file for few seconds, then it sends that message via the message system. It does create a backup file tough, but it might not contain everything as it stoped at the moment it tries to compress the users.list.lock file (which I can't find anywhere on the filesystem apart from when it makes the backup) Strange... Reseller-level and admin-level backup does work fine without any errors.

I'll try this (https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=792) when I have some time in the weekend, and post my finding. If someone else tries it first, let me know ;)

I've got the same problem. It must be introduced with an update of DA or centos itself.

I do not often make user backups, but is it a coincidence that k1l0b1t and me had the same error even on the same day shortly after a new release of DA? Logged in as admin I made a backup in user level with Create/Restore Backups in Advanced Features.
Code:
Error Compressing the backup file backup-May-22-2020-2.tar.gz : /bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied

Could be a coincidence of course.
I make error free daily backups of all users with admin tools -> admin backup/transfer option. Shouldn't the same Permission denied /bin/tar error occur then all so?

I have no doubt that disabling the strict backup permissions is a fix, but it is less secure and a last resort. There could be a bug in the user backup script where there is none in the admin backup/transfer script.

But I might misinterpret things.

Since more people are complaining about this, I just did a test. Never had issues before, I only updated directadmin and see what happens:
Error Compressing the backup file backup-May-25-2020-1.tar.gz : /bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied

Looks definately as some DA issue after the update.
The helpfile is a workaround imho, not a fix.

Just looking at this
Code:
/bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied
The directory under user is called backups with an s at the end, not /backup.
Could this have anything to do with it?

Today I just updated DA as well to the latest version.

I have also this same error.

Error Compressing the backup file backup-May-25-2020-1.tar.gz : /bin/tar: backup/users.list.lock: Cannot open: Permission denied

Just out of curiosity... in spite of the error notice my backup was made and present. Did not seem to miss anything when having a quick look. Was that also in your case?

I did shut off the locks during the backup process, in case it was perhaps saving the lock as diradmin (only guess at this moment).
Could you check if it's still there? Probably in /home/user/backups/backup/users.list.lock perhaps?

I've just created a set of binaries which sets a "do not lock" on the backup.. this may help (although not clear why I'm not hitting it.. doesn't matter).
So give the new pre-release binaries (in 2+ minutes, uploading now) a try and let me know if the problem persists.

John

In my case I fixed it by adding an extra option in directadmin.conf: extra_backup_option=--ignore-failed-read so it does not throw an error

When I look into FTP whilst it's putting the backup in the folder before tar.gz-ing it there is indeed a users.list.lock file.

As I only have 1 server that I need to remain stable, I'll just wait until the next release, and remove the extra_backup_option line from my directadmin.conf to test then and put my finding in here then ;)

Thanks anyways ;)

Back