Very Useful Options to add to Spamassassin

elysch

Very Useful Options to add to DA's Spamassassin configurability

Hello everybody.

I'm very new to DA and exim.conf, so I don't know how easy is to do what I'm going to suggest, but I think It's worth discussing it.

I searched the forums looking for this, but I couldn't find almost anything. Please forgive me if I'm re-posting about an already discussed subject.

What I think would be great to do with SpamAssassin configuration in DA is:
  1. To be able to enable/disable SpamAssassin on a mailbox basis
  2. To be able to select if the mailbox user wants to put all spam on a separate folder or simply mark it as spam on the subject ***
  3. (if it's possible) A way so the users who already downloaded their mail can still train the bayes algorithm to tell if a message is spam or not
    [/list=1]

***) If should use a separate folder, it depends on the webmail installed, right?. I whould also put these spam folders on a logrotate configuration so each month it overwrites the "last-month-spam" file with "this-month-spam" contents.

I've just thought about how to do the first two points (I don't know how to do the third)

EXIM:
    For what I could tell from the exim configuration documents, it's possible to find if the destination e-mail address appears in an external file using "lookup" and "lsearch". You could also put some other parameters for each line in this external file.
    This file should be at the domain's home directory. Maybe could call it ".spamassassin_users" with this format:
    user1: :InSubject:
    user2: :Folder:
    user3: :InSubject:
    user4: :InSubject:

The spamcheck: transport could call a script with a parameter (InSubject or Folder) so it knows what to do:
    • should call spamc with a configuration that changes the subject
    • should call spamc with a configuration that doesn't change the subject but, if it's spam, appends the mail to the "this-month-spam" of the destination user's mailbox and doesn't send the mail back to exim (obviously)
      [/list=a]

SKINS:
      In the skins, we could put two checkboxes in front of each mailbox (one to "activate SpamAssassin" and the other to "Have a separate folder". When the form is submitted, it should be easy to modify the ".spamassassin_users" file like it does with other configuration files (I don't know how)

What do you think?
      Does anybody could help with the implementation?
      Should I put a copy of this message in the Feedback & Feature Requests forum or in the 3rd Party Software forum?

I hope it's clear because I'm not a native English speaker person.

Cheers,

Ely.

Last edited:
DirectAdmin staff has already announced that for now they're not working on SpamAssassin on a per mailbox basis, so anyone else is welcome to try this.

Yes, it should all be doable.

My guess is that I could do it. But I don't have the time or the inclination right now. And I'd never create a skin for it, since then I'd be forced to create updated skins forever.

So hopefully someone else will jump in :) .

And perhaps create either a skin or a separate interface for it.

Jeff

Maybe if the DirectAdmin staff see this approach they could decide to implement it sooner. Don't you think?

Could anybody tell me how can I ask them to take a look at it and tell me their opinion?

Back