Vhosts

We can't give you any support on that type of software, if anyone else knows, they can answer. Also please post 3rd party software under the correct header.

Thanks,
John

I think what he may have been implying was what would be required to set a reverse lookup on an IP address so that when an IRC server whois'd his bot, it would return the host that he wants it to use.

I'm interested in discovering what DNS record I need to set in order to achieve this as well.

I found out how.

To create the vhost you have to go to the boxes main dns settings (the boxes domain) and add reverse dns for the ips
ex.

001.789.456.123.reverse.boxdomain.com. ptr somevhost.anyboxcontrolleddomain.com.

would reverse the host somevhost.anyboxcontrolleddomain.com to the ip 123.456.789.001

then for each ptr value youmust have an A value for the domain so in the dns settings for the domain you set (it must be a domain the box has entries for but does not have to be the boxes domain)

ex.
somevhost.anyboxcontrolleddomain.com. A 123.456.789.001

this will setup and should only take a matter of minutes to successfully resolve. (I set four up in about 10 minutes and had bots on them in about 15)

If you need any more help feelfree to email me at [email protected] :)

Thanks Gadget, I generally get what your trying to say.

Just to clariffy, if I had the domain webhost.net and wanted to use the virtualhost admin.webhost.net, and I wanted to make admin.webhost.net reverse lookup to 133.52.66.57 I'd add the following DNS record to webhost.net's DNS settings:

57.66.52.133 ptr admin.webhost.net
admin.webhost.net A 133.52.66.57

is that correct ?

James said:
Thanks Gadget, I generally get what your trying to say.

if I had the domain webhost.net and wanted to use the virtualhost admin.webhost.net, and I wanted to make admin.webhost.net reverse lookup to 133.52.66.57 I'd add the following DNS record to webhost.net's DNS settings:

57.66.52.133 ptr admin.webhost.net
admin.webhost.net A 133.52.66.57

is that correct ?
Almost, it would look more like this

57.66.52.133.reverse.boxdomain.com. PTR admin.webhost.net.
(The periods at the end of the reverselookup and the vhost are IMPORTANT)
Then The A Entry:
admin.webhost.net. A 133.52.66.57
(Once again the period behind the vhost is IMPORTANT, the vhost wont resolve if the periods arent place right)

And in order to reverse the vhost you have to reverse it in the domain dns for the box. so if your box is websites.com that means your reverse would have to be in the websites.com dns (ex. 57.66.52.133.reverse.websites.com. PTR admin.webhost.net.)
and the A value would go in the dns for webhost.net
(ex. admin.webhost.net. A 133.52.66.57)

Hope that clears it up for you. :)

Last edited:
James said:
I'm interested in discovering what DNS record I need to set in order to achieve this as well.

Please keep in mind that your provider has to allocate reverse dns control to you. Most providers do not do this automatically and many won't do it all if you don't have at least an entire Class C of ips with them.

Back