VPS crashed 2 times a week

janw.oostendorp

Verified User
Hi,

I have a small VPS. It's been running for abour 1,5 year without problems.
But recently the VPS crashes, or becomes so slow it's unusable. And it's getting worse.
It's a vanilla setup and besides updates I don't do anything about maintenance. I don't have the knowledge.
It has a few websites all with very low traffic.

I made a few screenshots at the point the VPS was so slow it was unusable: http://imgur.com/a/Kbel3
Can anybody help me get started to fix this?
Where should I look, what information is important for this.

thanks.

Hello,

Check and repair MySQL tables as some of them might be corrupted (check mysql error logs as well). Check server-status in apache to see what link or site is most requested, as there might be a spambot, bruteforce or other malicious activity on your server. Check your directories for malware. Please search the forums for more details on how to do any of those mentioned actions.

The other problem it might be, is that your host node is overloaded. Based on the fact that you have a huge load and most of what you list does a lot of disk I/O I am guessing that someone else on your VPS host is causing your disk I/O to slow to a crawl.

I have seen this more with OpenVZ vs xen or kvm but if another VPS on the host is blocking disk I/O then you will see high iowait times in sar and very high load numbers from top/htop/etc. Best then to contact your ISP for help in pinpointing where the error is actually coming from. What do you see when you do the following command as root:
sar 1 10

Back