Warning: mysqld.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

Richard G

Verified User
We got 2 servers which have the same MariaDB version 10.2.30.
One 1 server, no warnings are given.

On the other server, every time when I give the command:
systemctl status mariadb

Sometimes it takes a bit longer before the command finishes, but always this line appears:
Warning: mysqld.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

It doesn't matter if I do systemctl daemon-reload or not, even rebooting the server makes no difference, when asking the status, the line appears every time again.

Maybe I can ignore it, but the other servers isn't doing this either and it's getting annyoing. So these are my questions
1.) Can I ignore this ore not?
2.) If I can ignore this, can I do something so this warning does not appear every time?

Same for me. It seems safe to ignore from what I've read.

I just wonder why only on one of both servers while they are installed the same way, just a week apart.

Still I would like to know how to fix it so they don't appear anymore.
I've read somewhere about changing some mysql to mariadb name, but that was already named mariadb so that is not the case here.

I've read somewhere about changing some mysql to mariadb name, but that was already named mariadb so that is not the case here.

Also what I read, and same for me. I never used MySQL so mine actually says:

Warning: mariadb.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

I have fixed this. Open /etc/systemd/system/mysqld.service and at the end, add:

LimitNOFILE=65535
LimitNPROC=65535

Then run systemctl daemon-reload followed by systemctl restart mysqld

Reading some forums suggest looking if this file /etc/systemd/system/mariadb.service.d/limits.conf exists...

@wattie Correct, however that limits.conf does not exists on either server. So the other server should have the same issue in that case, correct?
I also read that should contain something like:
[Service]
LimitNOFILE=10000

But this statement with a lot higher value is already present in the mysqld.service file.

@jayw1 the mysqld.service file already contains a default of LimitNOFILE=655350 which is almost the same.
Als for the NPROC limit, I don't see that anywhere in combinatie with mysql/mariadb and the other server does not have that either.
I tried it just for fun, but it makes no difference in my case.

Back