wget removed

nellygb

Verified User
Hi

my host has removed the wget command in cron jobs for security reasons Im told???

I need to run what should be a simple cron job to execute a php file.

I have tried the three commands below on the advice of different sources but
to no avail.

/home/<username>/domains/<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php

/usr/local/bin/curl/http://www.<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php

./home/<username>/domains/<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php

Does any one have the definative command I need to to enable this cron to execute

T.I.A.

regards

nellygb

You could try:

/usr/local/bin/php -q -f /home/<username>/domains/<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php
or
lynx -dump http://www.<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php

You could try:

/usr/local/bin/php -q -f /home/<username>/domains/<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php
or
lynx -dump http://www.<MyDomainName>.com/blog/wp_nellygbrss.php

Thanks IceUk but no go. Ive set it to execute every min each time and even added some fresh catagories and feed just incase there where no new posts (articles) to collect.

Called it in my browser and bingo 20 new posts.

Is it now the case I need to ask the question of the server hosts and check they have cron jobs operational.

Again thanks for your time in trying to assist I appreciate it

regards

nellygb

One of my pet peeves!

My customers always complain of issues with their cron tab and php files.

None of the options I have seen and tried have worked.

/usr/local/bin/php -q /home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html/script.php

curl home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html/script.php

What bewilders me is that my cron log in directadmin shows no errors.
This is beginning to irritate me as I paid for this solution. I never had problems putting php files on cron in Cpanel!

Some assistance would be appreciated.

How I Empathise

Hi

at last I now know its not just me getting a grummpy old bastard!!!

I can not tell you how long I have put to solve this problem and all I get from my host is contact your programer or the owner of the script you have tried to set up the cron job for to re code the w-get command to allow you to execute the cron tab.

So they remove an industry standard code then do nothing to assist their paying customers in finding a workable solution.

I have now given up on trying to execute my simple command in cron jobs and am attempting to do it via a psuedo cron scriptwhich can not be any more difficult than getting the answer to the above question.

Quess I will just have to keep moaning and groaning

nellygb

Hi

at last I now know its not just me getting a grummpy old bastard!!!

I can not tell you how long I have put to solve this problem and all I get from my host is contact your programer or the owner of the script you have tried to set up the cron job for to re code the w-get command to allow you to execute the cron tab.

So they remove an industry standard code then do nothing to assist their paying customers in finding a workable solution.

I have now given up on trying to execute my simple command in cron jobs and am attempting to do it via a psuedo cron scriptwhich can not be any more difficult than getting the answer to the above question.

Quess I will just have to keep moaning and groaning

nellygb

To be honest your hosting provider should be answering all your questions or atleast be pointing you in the right direction concerning your crontab, path to PHP etc.

Most companies should be disabling lynx as well, thats if they are worried about security. This include all the lwp-* binaries as well to prevent malicious attacks against a server via a carefully crafted url.

Back