What operating system?

Nexxterra.com

Verified User
With the latest move on centos, I am thinking of changing our servers. What operating system do you use and what do you like/hate about it?
I am sure I am not the only one here thinking about this either... This seems to be a part of a long term plan that sees a commercial centos down the road, while it may be cheaper than RHL, but so are some small cars!

Discussion is here

NO it is not, that entire forum thread is 95% about centos and NOT what others are currently using or what those using centos intend to try out...
Just because it is a related topic does not mean you can redirect because I do not want to discuss centos in this thread, I want to discuss alternatives.... very different content!
I am more interested in hearing from people that DO NOT use centos. We started with debian years ago, but a new server guy a few months in switched because debian was not his forte.
I have Puppy Linux on a number of PCs and older laptops, it works great and extends the life of the office hardware, but I do not believe a server environment is their target. You can also run Puppy on a usb drive and boot from any computer, like always having your PC in your pocket, great for field service.

With the latest move on centos, I am thinking of changing our servers.
Sorry your first sentence is sort of leading.. let's try again..
I am thinking of changing our servers.
Are referring to da servers? if yes the choices are CentOS, RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD unless I missed some.
If no Its wide open. Currently for personal desktop use I like MXlinux, GhostBSD, and Mac.

for servers I prefer FreeBSD or Debian (non derivatives).

Used Redhat and centos until IBM bought them.

I have used them all over the last 20 years.
a new server guy a few months in
What did he like?

If you like Puppy have you tried AntiX https://antixlinux.com/

MXlinux is the old mepis and antix teams they combined. https://mxlinux.org/

Back