Which Billing & Automation software do you use?

Which Billing & Automation software do you use?

• AWBS

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Clientexec

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Modern Bill

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • WHMCS

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elkabong

Verified User
Folks,

I am sorry that you are probably tired of seeing this question being asked here but I am trying to find a billing solution that will work for me.

At present have I installed WHMCS and even got a customised template due to the fact that everyone seems to be recommending it. I have become very frustrated at the fact that I cant get it to talk (connect) to DA after an order has been accepted. I have raised a support ticket with WHMCS but while I do not wish to blame anyone the issue is still unresolved. I would love to go with WHMCS because it looks like a great product. However, I think that i need to weigh up my options so I am hoping that this thread will help me decide!

Please let me know which of the following you use with DA and any comments you have both positive and negative:

AWBS
Clientexec
Modern Bill
WHMCS
Other

Thanks in Advance

Elkabong

Last edited:
I still am trying to use ModernBill, because I own two licenses. I'm still not totally satisfied.

But I like the fact that there's a company behind it, not just a one-man or a two-man shop.

Billing is probably the most important consideration in keeping our business afloat, and I need to know that the billing software company will help me when I have problems.

Jeff

Folks,

I am sorry that you are probably tired of seeing this question being asked here but I am trying to find a billing solution that will work for me.

At present have I installed WHMCS and even got a customised template due to the fact that everyone seems to be recommending it. I have become very frustrated at the fact that I cant get it to talk (connect) to DA after an order has been accepted. I have raised a support ticket with WHMCS but while I do not wish to blame anyone the issue is still unresolved. I would love to go with WHMCS because it looks like a great product. However, I think that i need to weigh up my options so I am hoping that this thread will help me decide!

Please let me know which of the following you use with DA and any comments you have both positive and negative:

AWBS
Clientexec
Modern Bill
WHMCS
Other

Thanks in Advance

Elkabong

I use CE at the moment, but just installed WHMCS for someone else using DA. Works fine out of the box. Matter of fact, I like it better then CE, but don't feel like switching at the moment.

Hello Sullise,

Did you have any issues with WHMCS setting up accounts on your DA server after you installed it?

regards,

Elkabong

Hello Sullise,

Did you have any issues with WHMCS setting up accounts on your DA server after you installed it?

regards,

Elkabong

Works fine. It's being used right now to create new accts. Make sure you've configured the servers correctly...and the package names.

Sullise,

I decided to have another look at ModernBill despite all of the negative postings regarding their support. At least there is a proper company with employees behind the product! There is even a Company Name, Address and Telephone Number and even if the CEO is away for whatever reason business continues as normal.

Clientexec may also be another option but so far I have installed MB 4.4 rather than 5.1 and I am playing around with it. It's looking good so far.

regards,

Elkabong

Sullise,

I decided to have another look at ModernBill despite all of the negative postings regarding their support. At least there is a proper company with employees behind the product! There is even a Company Name, Address and Telephone Number and even if the CEO is away for whatever reason business continues as normal.

Clientexec may also be another option but so far I have installed MB 4.4 rather than 5.1 and I am playing around with it. It's looking good so far.

regards,

Elkabong

While I personally use CE...at least version 2.*, I found it to be somewhat counter-tuitive and he always had that "hacked together" feel. Maybe version 3 will be better.

Don't think I"m trying to sell you on any single solution..what works for you is what you should go with. :)

I've probably used them all...MB was the most bloated though.

I still am trying to use ModernBill, because I own two licenses. I'm still not totally satisfied.

But I like the fact that there's a company behind it, not just a one-man or a two-man shop.

Billing is probably the most important consideration in keeping our business afloat, and I need to know that the billing software company will help me when I have problems.

Jeff

Are you sure they will be there to help you?

I am using awbs for about a year and half after trying clientexec whoiscart and modernbill.
Awbs is hard to implement at first. Still giving me minor headaches about it's interal working mechanisms.
But works without any problem with directadmin.

I actually just recently had a very good experience with MB's support team. They had released a patch to fix their v4.4 issue with x86_64 machines, which the first released build did not a many people's systems, but I was one of the first to report back and got immediate help for a day and a half from Michael himself. He's the president of the company.

They've been trying to work out their support issues from the past, and do seem to be on the right track.

That being said, I'm TRYING to have a look at WHMCS, as it now supports everything I need it to (DA and TCAdmin are the 2 key elements) but have to finish getting it all configured. One of the reasons I'm doing this is due to Modernbill v5's awkward package and addon changes when compared to v4. v4 isn't super easy, but I"ve been using it long enough to know exactly what to add where to get the results I need and want. I dread migrating to v5 mainly due to my existing packages/addons and the chaos that will ensue when I try and get them over to v5.

I actually just recently had a very good experience with MB's support team. They had released a patch to fix their v4.4 issue with x86_64 machines, which the first released build did not a many people's systems, but I was one of the first to report back and got immediate help for a day and a half from Michael himself. He's the president of the company.

I also had a good experience with MB's support team over the past few days and I must say that I am leaning towards MB simply because of the fact that there is a company with staff behind the product. For an example there is Michael as you mentioned, there is also Ben, Brian, Kris and Andy!

BTW: Don't forget to Vote!

Last edited:
I also had a good experience with MB's support team over the past few days and I must say that I am leaning towards MB simply because of the fact that there is a company with staff behind the product. For an example there is Michael as you mentioned, there is also Ben, Brian, Kris and Andy!

BTW: Don't forget to Vote!

That doesnt mean that support is going to be A1. There has been employee behind the scene for a very long time and for a very long time there has been zero support when required. Just because there are 6 or 7 people working for the company does not mean that you will get very good support. Take for instance, we sold off our MB license (thank god) and have been trying to transfer the product to the new owner for over 2 weeks. Zero replies on the ticket. Even when i called MB on the phone to speak wth Sheri who handles account, it took 18 phone calls over the course of 3 days until i finally got the woment on the phone. All the other 17 times it was "leave a voice message". Ye, well we know how that works. 17 times mind you x a long distance phone call to the 502 area code. Well see how much that cost me on my next phone bill. The point is, what does the number of people working for a company got to do with support?

There are less people working at AWBS but at least i get replies within a few hours.

That doesnt mean that support is going to be A1. There has been employee behind the scene for a very long time and for a very long time there has been zero support when required. Just because there are 6 or 7 people working for the company does not mean that you will get very good support. Take for instance, we sold off our MB license (thank god) and have been trying to transfer the product to the new owner for over 2 weeks. Zero replies on the ticket. Even when i called MB on the phone to speak wth Sheri who handles account, it took 18 phone calls over the course of 3 days until i finally got the woment on the phone. All the other 17 times it was "leave a voice message". Ye, well we know how that works. 17 times mind you x a long distance phone call to the 502 area code. Well see how much that cost me on my next phone bill. The point is, what does the number of people working for a company got to do with support?

There are less people working at AWBS but at least i get replies within a few hours.

My major concern here was to do with the fact that if there is just one person behind something as mission critical as a billing system and he goes to the beach for a two week holiday or simply falls off the face of the earth what happens with your business. I am aware that a company can have a 500 seat support call centre and their support still be poor but at least it can be abit of comfort knowing you can pickup the phone and "shout" at someone if the need arose!

Are you sure they will be there to help you?
So far, ModernBill support has been excellent. I even got a call back from a support exec asking me to create a ticket for a problem I'd mentioned in passing to a sales rep.

Perhaps they want to help me because I attend shows where they exhibit, and make myself known to their staff as a real person :) .

Jeff

My major concern here was to do with the fact that if there is just one person behind something as mission critical as a billing system and he goes to the beach for a two week holiday or simply falls off the face of the earth what happens with your business. I am aware that a company can have a 500 seat support call centre and their support still be poor but at least it can be abit of comfort knowing you can pickup the phone and "shout" at someone if the need arose!

If that's how you feel why are you using DirectAdmin?

Funny. I went through the exact same thing.

If that's how you feel why are you using DirectAdmin?

The issue here is about Billing Systems not Control Panels!

For the record I never had an issue with DirectAdmin. I have been using DA for about 2 years and never once did I have a problem with John responding to my queries. Furthermore, DA is so stable (at least for me) that I heardly ever need support.

Last edited:
I didn't know you had a problem with WHCS. They or he didn't help you? I have seen tons of great reviews on WHT. Looks fairly easy to setup.

I didn't know you had a problem with WHCS. They or he didn't help you? I have seen tons of great reviews on WHT. Looks fairly easy to setup.

Well, WHMCS is a great product and has loads of potential.

I had an issue with it and after 3 days without further communication from them I emailed asking what the status was. I got a reply saying that Matt was away on a business trip and that he was due back the following day and would respond. I waited until the day after he was supposed to have returned, I heard nothing further so I simply sent him a message stating I had to move on and closed the support ticket. Therefore this is the reason for this thread as I am still searching!

It is...works right out of the box. Most problems I've ever seen are normally caused by PEBCAK.

Back