Which Billing & Automation software do you use?

Which Billing & Automation software do you use?

• AWBS

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Clientexec

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Modern Bill

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • WHMCS

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is...works right out of the box. Most problems I've ever seen are normally caused by PEBCAK.

It worked fine out of the box, I even got a template from Matt which looked great. I tried testing a few orders but when the orders was placed and accepted the account was not being created on the DA Server. I even tried manually by Clicking the CREATE ACCOUNT button without success. The packages were exactly the same in WHMCS and DA, the Database was created on the DA Server for WHMCS also. I am sure we could have solved it but I couldn't wait anymore - My concern was if the problem was more serious would my business have to be put on hold until he got around to me?

Last edited:
sullise,

Would you consider PEBCAK a personal attack on elkabong ;) ?

If it doesn't work for him and he can't get a response from the company, why would that be his fault?

rldev,

DA has a great support community that's been able to help us all quite a bit. Does WHMCS have a similar community to answer questions?

If so, then, elkabong,

Have you tried asking them?

My personal problem with using WHMCS is that they use a licensing system that causes the product to stop working after a time period (I forget what exact period) that WHMCS can't reach it's licensing server it stops working, and then all my data (stored encrypted by WHMCS in a MySQL database) would be impossible for me to get out.

elkabong,

Would you like me to attempt to install WHMCS for you?

Jeff

elkabong,

Would you like me to attempt to install WHMCS for you?

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for your offer but like I mentioned in a previous post I didn't have a problem with the installation or configuration as such. The problem was getting WHMCS to create the account in DA. I could have resolved the issue by now but what put me off is the fact that WHMCS support couldn't be bothered to followup my ticket.

I have now gone to ModernBill v5 where I have been getting support personally from Ben all week! At least it seems MB are trying hard to improve their support and I am willing to take the risk!! I also emailed you some info which I believe maybe of interest to you.

sullise,

Would you consider PEBCAK a personal attack on elkabong ;) ?

If it doesn't work for him and he can't get a response from the company, why would that be his fault?

Actually it was meant as a light hearted jab in fun...but guess it could be misconstrued without the accompanying wink and grin...lol.

Guess since I had no trouble setting up WHMCS out of the box with a standard DA server setup and lots of packages and addons....figured anyone could. If I was going to rate packages, I'd pick WHMCS over CE for sure.

I like whmcs ok and I got it set up easy enough and it created accounts on a DA server with no problem. What I hate about it is it doesn't let you or the customer pick the username or the password for the DA server.

I like whmcs ok and I got it set up easy enough and it created accounts on a DA server with no problem. What I hate about it is it doesn't let you or the customer pick the username or the password for the DA server.

Usernames can be changed via the changer_username.sh script if users is picky...and presonally, I prefer the random passwords as users usually pick something totally insecure like "dog". LOL. Plus, they can update them after they log in.

I agree with you on the password thing.

I am just trying to make it all automated so I don't have to use the change_username.sh script. I want a customer to be able to just signup and be done with it.

Another thing I don't like it requiring a domain at signup time. I don't understand the purpose of this. WHMCS and DA require it. But we may be getting a little off topic here.

Despite the fact that a lot of people praise WHMCS , unfortunately I have so say that it is not all gold what shines.
I had to find out for example that support is not what they say it is and the program has some serious issues. Neither can you give any critics in the forum (unless they are positive) as the posts are edited frequently, closed and even removed silently after a few days. How can you have an objective view if everything is edited by the moderators ?? Is that how a PUBLIC forum should be ? Showing only what they want you to see ? Three out of five topics I started , where I thought they would benefit all of us, are closed already!
I found for example a serious issue the way credit works , when applying credit , tax is removed from the invoice. Opening a ticket resulted in a response that it is working as it should be. Not agreeing with that , resulted in no more replies from Matt (just got one). I continued this topic on the forum where other users also agreed that this was wrong, and after I posted a question to Matt why he does not consult an accountant for this issue , the line was removed , post was closed and moved to “Client Discussion” . So I guess the issue has no importance at all, where I think is has, since this is a billing program and some basic accounting rules should be in place.
Another post where I complaint about the various LGPL programs like TinyMCE, phpmailer, smarty that are encoded where they shouldn’t and so we cannot add our own scripts, just disappeared completely. Unbelievable !
Another post where I asked for custom fields on invoices was closed with a complete irrelevant answer "It's already possible to do this by editing the templates. Request closed." This is NOT so , custom fields are only possible on client records and product records , not on invoice records. (a second post that I opened to clear this up was once again edited by a moderator)
Some other feature requests were never even answered.
Also the fact that the whole admin area is encoded, there is no way to add your own stuff there, only limited in the client area with smarty templates. And last but not least, like somebody already pointed out, the fact that it is just a one-man or a two-man shop and everything is encoded could be a huge problem if this guy disappears. Some of you have already found out here in this forum, that things like this are very possible.
The script itself is quite good but needs improvement on several issues , but support for me is a big ZERO and the fear for what’s going to happen “the day after ” is big. ( another post about what happens if Matt falls from this earth also strangely disappeared ? )
I also think that a paying client has the right to have a voice and shouldn't be told to shut up or have that feeling. What would he do if he had a shop and I came with my complaints on the counter ?
Just my 2$c.
Ed,

Weird ,
They now decided to lock me out of the forum, although I never used bad language, or flamed or ever even raised my voice.
The integrity of this one-man show is as bad as his support. Various edited , locked and removed post prevents others to see what’s really going on over there. Editing others people writings are what we call here counterfeit.
If you want to give your accounting in hands of such people, be my guest, but remember the warning.

Last edited:
The inability of WHMCS to create a DA user on a particular machine could easily be a firewall issue, and as such, resolvable.

However the support issues brought up, and the problem with an encoded system that you can't get into if something happens to the WHMCS staff, is an important issue, and inevitably, it's the one that kept me from going further with WHMCS.

Jeff

The inability of WHMCS to create a DA user on a particular machine could easily be a firewall issue, and as such, resolvable.

Acutally, its usually port 80

However the support issues brought up, and the problem with an encoded system that you can't get into if something happens to the WHMCS staff, is an important issue, and inevitably, it's the one that kept me from going further with WHMCS.

Jeff

Support really does suck over there. I heard its a one or two man show and people dont get any kind of support for this product.

I just wanted to let you all know that I use ClientExec. It's a very nice package that is easy to setup and maintain and the support is great! I've just submitted two support requests and had a response within an hour. :) I think I'll stick with ClientExec, as ModernBill is much too complicated for my needs. Thanks.

After years of trying other out of the box products (CE, AWBS, etc) - we installed WHMCS - I couldn't be happier. I just wish there was a way to easily import from our custom solution, but other than that, I have ZERO problems with it. (Since we dont collect tax here in NY, refunding tax isn't an issue).

Can ClientExec manage more than one set of offerings...

For example... on webpage1 we sell planA, planB and planC. On webpage2 we sell planD, planE, and planF.

When people click on "buy" from webpage1 we only want them to see planA, planB, and planC offered, and when they click on "buy" from webpage2 we only want them to see planD, planE, and planF.

So far, of all we've looked at, only MB5 allows that.

Also we need to have a mix of some clients being billed on a calendar month basis (1st to 1st, with prorated 1st or second bill) and others on month-to-month bases (monthly from date of signup). So far, of all we've looked at, only MB5 allows that.

We also need to be able to add extra charges any time during the month and have them only billed at the end of the month when the rest of the account is billed. So far only MB5 allows that.

Anyone know of any others with those features, which are quite important to us?

Jeff

Back