Wierd Email Problem

billmoore

Verified User
Little background first.

My DA machine was dying. We could not figure out why, DNS would stop, Mysql flat out quit and nothing brought it back, system would just die, etc.

Ok, finally yesterday I had enough. I had my hosting company get me a new larger drive, and install the latest version of DA on a centos machine. I have had another box just like this running for months with no problem.

Ok, I reinstalled all the resellers and reloaded all users from the backups. No Problems except for my own stupidity on one reseller. But basically no problems.

Now today, i have some customers who are using outlook express and just outlook who can recieve email fine but cannot send. They can send thru webmail, I have other customers ( myself included here ) who use Eudora or thunderbird or whatever who are having no problems sending at all. It is important to note that until the upgrade NO ONE had problems sending at all.

Any ideas as to where to look ? I have gone thru all of thier settings and everything seems right.

Thanks in Advance

Bill

Make sure no IP#s have changed. Make sure if they have, that the changes are recognized in DNS (and wait at least two days for them to propagate).

Make sure reverse DNS works.

Jeff

All POP clients use port 110, and all IMAP clients use port 143.

If your users can receive email they're not having a problem with port 110.

Outgoing email by default uses port 25. If you were blocking port 25 inbound, then no one could send mail to your server, as port 25, by default, is used by by your clients to send email and outsiders to send email to your server.

It's possible your clients' ISP is blocking port 25; that's very common.

If your IP numbers are either the same or the new ones have propagated, then look for these issues:

Can all clients not send email using the server, or just some?

Can you send email using the server?

You should probably tail /var/log/exim/mainlog and/or /var/log/exim/rejectlog while a client having problems is trying to send outgoing email; the log information may give you an idea of what's wrong. If you don't see anything in the logs while they're trying to send email then either the DNS is wrong, or their ISP has a block in place.

Jeff

Back