Wiki Watching...

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Time to set up a DirectAdmin Wiki? Maybe. Post in another thread picked up some interest so time to open a new thread here.

I've got a few domains which would be perfect. I've got the room for a machine, even a machine which would get lots of hits. I'm willing to supply the following hardware if necessary:

12 TB memory, 4 Xeon Cores, 1 TB RAID, 100 mbps unmetered connection

(help with the hosting cost appreciated but not required)

But in order for me to feel comfortable moving forard, I'd need to see a structured group with occasional meetings (virtual of course), and a code of conduct. I just don't trust the Wikipedia model; not with the spam we get here on the forums (you don't see most of it but I do).

So... shall we try again?

And just for laughs: I lived near this place while attending University:

http://www.weekiwachee.com/

:)

Jeff

Time to set up a DirectAdmin Wiki? Maybe. Post in another thread picked up some interest so time to open a new thread here.

I've got a few domains which would be perfect. I've got the room for a machine, even a machine which would get lots of hits. I'm willing to supply the following hardware if necessary:

12 TB memory, 4 Xeon Cores, 1 TB RAID, 100 mbps unmetered connection

(help with the hosting cost appreciated but not required)

But in order for me to feel comfortable moving forard, I'd need to see a structured group with occasional meetings (virtual of course), and a code of conduct. I just don't trust the Wikipedia model; not with the spam we get here on the forums (you don't see most of it but I do).

So... shall we try again?

Yes, please!

I like this idea, it would be very useful especially for those who can not stand still with dedicated servers and we are always touching everything and upgrading to the latest versions.

Thank you very much Jeff for the interest and dedication.

And just for laughs: I lived near this place while attending University:

http://www.weekiwachee.com/

:)

Jeff

And which of the mermaids were you?

JK ;)

12 TB memory
LoL, you did it again. :D:D

Yes please let's try it again, I would like to be of help if possible. Count me in.
I will also subscribe to this thread so I will not forget about it or miss anything.

I am willing to contribute somehow to the wiki. I am supporting both the idea and team.

I can provide colo / hosting ... I've got a dual E5504 with RAID-10 that I can donate to the cause as well

Just let me know =)

I am willing to contribute to the wiki too. It would be nice and very handy to have a DirectAdmin Wiki!

Anyonw willing to get involved in manaigng the group to manage the wiki? Or is that going to fall on me?

Okay, if I set it up (one one my shared servers at first; we can move it when it becomes popular) who volunteers to install wikipedia and find a suitable theme?

I'll also create a forum for the wiki, in which we can discuss group business, decisions, etc.

Jeff

Why don't you ask John to create a DNS record for you as follows: wiki.directadmin.com

It can either be a CNAME record or an A record which will point to your server (Jeff).

I never installed mediawiki or any other wiki and I'm not good with themes so I can't help you there.
Czotos idea is also a good one, isn't it?

I believe, if its possible, we have to keep everthing in wiki. Mediawiki may handle this. If we create an another forum for that it will be useless if we are going to use this forum also. And i think like czotos mentioned, we may request a dns record for wiki, we can request a forum section from here or we can request reorganization of forum.

I will be looking into wiki management and modules soon.

Installing mediawiki is fairly easy, just wget/extract it and follow the setup in the browser. Then fix the htaccess so you have proper urls. The default theme may be sufficient (just like wikipedia), we may need a little logo though.

I'm leaving for a week tomorrow so I won't volunteer for this right now.

About the forum/wiki; I don't know if DA is willing to participate in a sort of a semi official manner, but it would be fun if it would.

If it's that simple, I wonder why Jeff asks for a volunteer to do it, but in that case I'm willing to give it a try, got some spare time on my hands.

Why don't you ask John to create a DNS record for you as follows: wiki.directadmin.com

It can either be a CNAME record or an A record which will point to your server (Jeff).
I'm thinking a community project shuldn't be run under the DirectAdmin domain name, and I have domain names available.

Jeff

If it's that simple, I wonder why Jeff asks for a volunteer to do it, but in that case I'm willing to give it a try, got some spare time on my hands.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not asking for help in installing wiki software; I'm asking for a community group to take responsibility for the content. In my opinion there should likely be a forum where the approved community members can discuss what they're writing.

But that's just what I'm writing about my involvement. Anyone can do anything they want.

My involvement is subject to us having a structure I think will make the wiki a good authoritative source; that's all.

To start with, Who wants to at least temporarily take over the task of organizing the group?

Jeff

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not asking for help in installing wiki software; I'm asking for a community group to take responsibility for the content. In my opinion there should likely be a forum where the approved community members can discuss what they're writing.

But that's just what I'm writing about my involvement. Anyone can do anything they want.

My involvement is subject to us having a structure I think will make the wiki a good authoritative source; that's all.

To start with, Who wants to at least temporarily take over the task of organizing the group?

Jeff
I have a lot of time free so I am willing to temporarily take over the task.

Sounds good to me; let's see if anyone else volunteers.

First task for consideration is which wiki software should I install?

Then I can set it up :).

Or maybe you or someone else can if enough people see my involvement as a bad thing.

Jeff

This sounds great.

I am up to my eyeballs with some devastating personal drama, envolvement in a brick & mortar (non internet/computer related) business, personal DA related project(s) etc.

If momentum continues on this community project though I do have much notes, some scripts/mods that I can contribute for content if that would be useful. Much of which would be from a noob perspective and thus include some basic linux sysadmin stuff.

oh, and maybe I can bring some mermaids.

Back