Wordpress Domain Mapping

stephfd21

Verified User
Hello,

I've setup a wordpress multisite and I'm trying to map my domains to the subdomains for each site I create. I've added the domains to my control panel but all I'm getting is the default html page that shows when a new domain is added to DA. What am I missing?

First delete the subdomains. Then add the subdomains as domain pointers under the domain for wich WordPress multisite is installed on. Also it is needed that the domain pointers is of "alias" type, but that checkbox should be ticket by default.

Thanks for the response. okay so I've done that, my subdomains work fine. The issue I'm having is mapping custom domains to those subdomains.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you saying you want to forward regular domains to the subdomains that now is domain pointers under your multsite main domain? Then why not just do it with a .htaccess redirect?

Lets refer to my domain as domain.com.. I currently have site1.domain.com which is working fine but I would like to map a new domain such as example.com to site1.domain.com. Its not a redirect but more of a mask.... take a look at this video for better understanding

I don't need a video for this. I need to understand what you are trying to do. I am still not sure I understand what YOU want to do.

If you want to add example.com as a site in wordpress multisite, then just delete example.com in DirectAdmin and add is as a domain pointer under domain.com

Ah! I see. Thank you, it worked. Now that example.com is the domain pointer, should I remove site1.domain.com's pointer or leave it as is?

If site1.domain.com is not added in wp multisite, and if you do not use site1.domain.com to anything, then of course you can remove it.

You can have many domain pointers under a domain, it is not restricted to only one.

Back